Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an extremely odd problem i can not figure it out. At idle my car starts to rev funny, and then between 10 to 0 pounds of vacuum it backfires like crazy. I thought it was the turbo but im not sure now. The shaft in my turbo has a lot of play in it so i assumed that maybe it was hitting the housing and causing the propeelar to stop , but i guess the problem would be bigger if that was the case. So far i have changed the plugs, the injectors, wires, reset tps and mass air and nothing helps. Except for 1 thing, when i start the car if i disconnect the cam sensor everything stops. It does not backfire at all. When you disconnect the cam sensor it makes it go from sequential to bank fire. I dont know why going to bank would help this. Im so confused someone help if you would.

------------------

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
Plug wires got swapped around?

------------------
Mustang, it's what's for dinner.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I would go back and make sure cam sensor is set correct.Also If timing chain is original it may be stretched and cam gear plastic broken off. That will make setting cam sensor imposible.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well whenever i put the sensor i had it the cam reset cause we thought of that. It didnt work though.
It is getting annoying having to get out of the car and disconnect the cam sensor. cant understand why bank fire stops the problem

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Still sounds like the cam sensor is mis-aligned. It's very very easy to install it out of alignment. Trust me, it can happen to the best of us

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing,Turbo Buick Web Ring
San Diego CA http://home.san.rr.com/buickv6/
86 GN[email protected](MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 Z28 L69
01 Excursion LTD TTS"race" chip 7.3L PSD(power stroke diesel) Turbo 4X2
[blue]Pictures of my toys[/blue]

[This message has been edited by TurboDave (edited January 20, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I did not understand...but if it runs better with the cam sensor unplugged...then it sounds like a cam sensor problem...either misadjusted or a bad one.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yep" I would say cam sensor adjust to" But I have also had a bad vacume line cause this to. Internally collasped! That was fun to find.

------------------
To hell with 12's Im going for the 11's!

Keith Davis---
2001 Ultra Harley Davidson
93 1500 Cheby PU
72 Cheby 4x4
97 1100 ACE
86GN,
Astroroof, DigDash' TTA crank, Ported polished heads & intake' Jay's 62mm T/body & upper' 979springs" Weber 206 206 hyd cam" Manly SS valves, Steel center mains' PTE 51 Turbo, THDP" Postons headers, Hooker comp. mufflers' T.C. Orange stripe conv. SMC alky,Boost command, Scanmaster2, MSD50 inj, JL Chips" V4 IC' LT1 MAF & Translator' Nitto DR's 275/50/15, All the braces, All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aftermarket.. Reset the cam sensor late today and it still does the same thing... Backfiring likle crazy..

·
Registered
703 Posts
This is a shot in the dark... but have you check the coil!!! Mine backfired under boost & the occasional light throttle.

Check the ohms...

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
A few months back, a member of the 'other' board posted that he chased a problem similar to yours. It ended up being a broken wire coming out of the cam sensor. I don't remember what wire it was, just that it was broken along where it ran in the wiring harness.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I FIXED IT WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO..

It was the cam sensor.. It was 180 Out..
I think I reset and disconnected computer and the problem is gone...

------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts