Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its all together" And i have taken it out for a spin" Now the car is spittin under boost & you can hear it spark knock? Lots of knock! 10.6 !! Every thing is connected that i had to take loose" The car ran great before this" Yes I turned the boost all the way down. You can also hear the turbo fluttering threw the whole exhaust system now" It did'nt flutter before? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Well, we would have expected nothing less!

it fluttered before but the extra volume of the ic makes it more evident. Good thing you did not go to a front mount...we would have had to to buy you a Kleenex franchise to keep up with the crying.

Okay, it sounds like it now needs more fuel due to the more efficient flow even at the same boost. I am surprised that it is that much different unless you aere on the lean age before...Since you are not blessed with a MaxEffort, try turning the fp up about 4#.

Do you have any scan tool readings? Was it colder than normal today?

What kinda chip and fuel pump are you running?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Well since the combo. ain't listed I will guess.

Need some info. first. What boost now vs. before?

What gas, fuel pressure, chip? Timing.

O2 counts WOT?

How's the weather?

After that I'm sure someone will be able to figure it out.

You sure the MAF is plumbed right, no leaks?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Well No-one is around but he will have to do...

Nice questions Steve.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
well, great, or evil, minds think alike....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just had to turn it down two pounds, and everything was good... I would check out what was posted above.

Joe

------------------
1986 Buick Grand National
TA-49 Turbo, 42.5lb 009 injectors, Hooker cat back, Charged Air Systems V4 Intercooler, BGC 3'' Downpipe with ported elbow and all the other usual stuff.
Buick, Go fast with class

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres my combo: 13 that should be a high 10!

------------------
To hell with 12's Im going for the 11's!

Keith Davis---
2001 Ultra Harley Davidson
93 1500 Cheby PU
72 Cheby 4x4
97 1100 ACE
86GN,
Astroroof, DigDash' TTA crank, Ported polished heads & intake' Jay's 62mm T/body & upper' 979springs" Weber 206 206 hyd cam" Manly SS valves, Steel center mains' PTE 51 Turbo, THDP" Postons headers, Hooker comp. mufflers' T.C. Orange stripe conv. SMC alky,Boost command, Scanmaster2, MSD50 inj, JL Chips" V4 IC' LT1 MAF & Translator' Nitto DR's 275/50/15, All the braces, All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
and what scan tool are you using for tuning?

Don't tell me scanmaster, either...you gotta record some data to see what is going on....or find someone with really fast eyes and a good memory!

What did your o2s read and what did the boost gauge say?

[This message has been edited by Steve Wood (edited February 02, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok" I wont tell you scanmaster11" But I can tell you that little black box on my dash was reading 820 on the 02's at low boost 12lb is as high as i have gone with it.
The boost gauge " Well it dont really matter "cause it does it even at low boost" say 5lbs" I havent even done a WOT for fear of blowing it up or popping a head gasket! I am using alky & have the HD actuator" boost is uncontrolable & has been since the PTE51 install" but I can tell you it was hitting 20lb's & rising before the V4 install with no knock using alky" But thats not the problem" even though its indeed a problem. But first things first. Why the hell is it all the sudden spitting under low boost & getting audible knock? I have adjusted the alky from lowest to highest with no change. I even noticed one other thing" When starting it one time tonight it acted like a eng with the timing retarded to much. It has never done that either? Eng has fresh rebuild less than 400 mi.on it
Tank has good 93 in it.
No MAF air leaks & its plumed right.
Temp is 41 outside.
Alum. scoupe could be pressing on swaybay under torqe. but at HW speeds & slowly pressing into boost it spits.

Hey but I can take it" Im not married!

And I dont have to depend on THEBITCH everyday.

Steve be sure & proof read so you dont ask questions I have already answered!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Wow that is pretty much my car, mine runs great.

I'd check the MAF and coil pack if you can.

Is the BSTC working right? Have you checked the hoses and actuator arm and diaphragm?

My last sources of KR are from mechanical sources, I think...

Perhaps something was disturbed during the V4 install?

Oh just saw the HD actuator I'd plumb the system direct with no boost control that should give you rock solid 15psi right?

Then see how the surging KR is.

Yup that's my "final answer".

------------------
WE4, Daily Driver, PTE51, 43lb. Bosch, THDP race cat., Postons Headers, 21/2"SS Ultraflows and pipes, 16 pos. Maxeffort thumbwheel chip, Bilsteins, Airbags/snubber,snows, 307 adj.reg./ gauges,scamaster and D.S.,BSTC,small stuff too. V4 IS IN!!! Not legal for racing.

GN loaded, car #2. 112K miles. Accufab reg. 160stat.,Scanmaster, Bilsteins, Moog springs.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I think something else is wrong..not related to the ic. Salvage has a good starting list but I would say the hd will give you 17# rather than 15%. You may have to increase the wastegate hole size to get boost under control but I always use the tuner style.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
With the V4, 51, and HD actuator I would think the hole would have to be 1 1/16"-1 1/8" or so to help control boost.

Sounds like you might be better off with a stock actuator arm.

I can get 20 psi. with the BSTC working with mine (12lb. spring), one solenoid, minumum is 14-15.

Two actuators and it's much higher.

Just my .02.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yes, I agree...

but...the first issue to address is deotnation at low boost...something is wrong there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check the diameter of the hole in the Y hose. if its to small you will detonate at low boost, my car did that for a year.

Joe

------------------
1986 Buick Grand National
TA-49 Turbo, 42.5lb 009 injectors, Hooker cat back, Charged Air Systems V4 Intercooler, BGC 3'' Downpipe with ported elbow and all the other usual stuff.
Buick, Go fast with class

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did replace the Y & hoses with new GM peices at the same time with the 51" Is GM not making them right anymore? I will try the old Y when it stops raining & Ill also increase the FP. Ill let ya know when it dries up here" I dont drive THABITCH in tha rain. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by fast86:
I did replace the Y & hoses with new GM peices at the same time with the 51" Is GM not making them right anymore?
Check the orifice size. It should be .050, but there was a post (can't find it now) stating newer Y-hoses may be faulty, having an orifice opening of .028.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
When my car was spitting like that, it was spark plug wires that wern't seated. Simple things first....

CDNGN is right on with the sizing, there are a lot of them out there, very common. Put the old one back in..The new one should be .045 to .050, I did a search a while back, and 4-5 guys reported all between those 2 numbers. A drill bit worked for them.

[This message has been edited by Turbo_Tim (edited February 03, 2002).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts