Turbo Buick Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Hey Matt, I would just eliminate the the rad trans cooler and just use the external. Works great for me. My trans has not gotten over 160 degrees since Ive had the gauge in the car. If you think about it, how hot does your car run in traffic? 170? 190? Your trans fluid is not going to be getting cooled off at all with the cooler running through that hot coolant. Just some food for thought. :)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
OMG :eek!: all this debate over 2 simple questions :rolleyes: I worked in a tranny shop for 3 years we always installed them after the rad cooler(per Tru Cool instructions)also did a lot of stand alone coolers. I have a stand alone on my GN. I also agree with staying away with synthetic,at the most a blend is all we'll ever need. Not worth the extra $$$ . :6:

·
Registered
401 Posts
my transmission shop stocks 55 gallon drum of amsoil synthetic!!

If synthetic wasn't any good, why would a transmissin shop use it exclusively after their rebuilds?

You want the fluid to be as cool as possible going back into the transmission, MOST instructions show it hooked up on the return line!!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I did not say it wasn't good,it's not necessary. Everyshop is different. I also said hook it up to the return line(aka after the rad cooler). There is such a thing as too cool. Do you fire up the TR with high oil psi and do a WOT blast? I hope not,same for a trans. The fuild needs a few easy miles before you get on it.

This is one very arguementitive thread :D

·
Risky Business
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Install is complete.

I ended up putting it after the rad cooler. I always let the car warm up anyway, whenver its frigid cold.

It goes through the internal cooler, then out to the top of the external, then from the bottom back to the trans. It's mounted quite nicely too.

Thanks for all the info guys. :6:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I used that "Amsoil" Crap in my tranny and never again, softens the O-rings, and pack materials, it also cost me a rear end rebuild too! I have a case of that crap that would be great to sell back to some dealer. I only reported my findings not based on some sales information, this oil isn't for our trannies. Many new vehicles come with synthetic gear lube in the diffs but my rebuilder won't warranty any of his rebuilds using it. My engine rebuilder said never use synthetics in his engine. Amsoil also wore out my cam on another Jeep years ago. Not needed and don't use it, from someone with experience. PS. A former dealer to boot. Gene :dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please note that this article is presented only as a suggestion. Please always double check all connections to the auxillary transmission cooler before beginning any drive.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts