Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Risky Business
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting conflicting stories, so I'm posting this question:

Which line do you tap for an auxillary trans cooler? (Upper/Lower?) Should it be plumbed to go through the radiator first, then the external cooler, or vise versa? Which one is which?

And whats the safest method of connection for hose to the cooler lines? Just slide it over the flared ends and clamp it? Would rather not have to worry about any leaks.

Any pics of how your external cooler hoses are plumbed in w/ the radiator cooler would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
JR still sucks!
5,004 Posts

·
Risky Business
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but which cooler is that going thruogh first? It doesnt say which line is which. I thought fluid flowed through any cooler from top to bottom. If the internal cooler flows top to bottom, then that picture shows it flowing bottom to top in the external.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I went as follows:
From Tranny to Top of Rad
Bottom of Rad to Top of Extra cooler
Bottom of extra cooler back to tranny
Before that I have an Oil Filter mounted that the Tranny Fluid hits 1st before going anywhere. Starts Clean no matter where it goes! :yup:

·
Registered
647 Posts
As I was told by many "old timers" to run the external cooler BEFORE the radiator cooler. That way you are taking some of the load off the cooling system plus it rewarms the trans fluid to a more consistent temperature by going through the radiator last.

The drawing is how I did mine.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
That pic is not real clear as I see the rad first & cooler second? No big deal as long as the flow is smooth & clean oil!

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts
Proper way is through the AUX FIRST then the rad.

This way the aux takes the brunt of the heat and if the temp is too low exiting the aux the radiator will bring it back up to the proper temp for the best flow.

That is assuming the radiator is not running to hot...I would say around 170 - 180 would be the best temp for the trans fluid.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just a Six?? said:
That pic is not real clear as I see the rad first & cooler second? No big deal as long as the flow is smooth & clean oil!
Look at the top hard line coming from the transmission. It goes to the bottom fitting of the external cooler.

The "correct" way to mount an external cooler is with the fittings to the side, not pointing up or down. The reason for this is to help purge air from the external cooler.

From the top fitting it goes back to the radiator.

Now I put the "correct" way to mount the cooler in quotes because I've got mine pointing down. :D It's just a matter of packaging,taste,laziness :D

If you are confused as to which line is from the transmission just go out and romp on the car and then come back and feel the lines. The warmest one will be from the transmission. :sw:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I got rid of the cooler in the rad and just used a big ass external one from B&M with one of those fans on it. Braided trans lines too. :D :phatyo: You'll see it on Sunday.:tong:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree with Jake! Removing the hot tranny oil from the radiator helps lower the coolant temp. I run an external dual pass cooler with the cooling fan that operates with the coolant dual fans. My trans temp runs at 175* with a loose converter and a hard run. My coolant temp always runs at 160* to 170* depending on drivng conditions. (stop and go or highway) I also run a FM IC, R12 A/C etc. So far no problems with this design. Gene :sw:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Fluid enters BOTTOM of radiator cooler from transmission

THE Bottom case fitting on the 200R4 transmission is the hot fluid pressure out and it feeds the bottom fitting of the radiator tank cooler on both 84-85 and 86-87 turbo regals,

THe top radiator line returns cooler fluid back to the transmission.

There is disgreement which way to plumb in an aux cooler, most cooler manufactures instructions let the AUX unit futher cool the returning fluid back to the transmission.

A lot of the shade tree mechanic grease monkies like to cool the hot fluid out of the transmission first with the new AUX cooler, an have the radiator cooler preheat cold fluid quicker from a cold start up.

I would guess it is a crap shoot and either way won't make much difference after the car is warm.

ALWAYS USE SYNTETIC tranny fluid !!!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
TURBO E-BODY said:
A lot of the shade tree mechanic grease monkies like to cool the hot fluid out of the transmission first with the new AUX cooler, an have the radiator cooler preheat cold fluid quicker from a cold start up.
umm its not a shade tree mechanic or a grease monkey idea- if you run your car in cold weather its better to run the cooler first so not only are you helping your radiator out, but your warming up the trans fluid again so its not heavy. every cooler ive ever used has said to run it this way.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Every cooler manufacturer instructions I've have Read SAY DIFF

ALL the instructions from AUX transmission manufacturers, SAY TO HOOK THEIR PRODUCT UP ON THE RETURN LINE!!!!

GO DO A SEARCH

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
ive put enough of them in to not have to search. anyway matt- did you have any luck putting it in???

·
Risky Business
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It just arrived today. I'm going to hopefully pick up some fittings for the cooler today on the way home from work.

Possibly install it tonight. I think I'll route it in the hot fluid line, so it goes through the external first, then through the rad, and back to the trans. I tend to have my car out in really cold weather once in a while. (ie: when the beater breaks down, etc..)

·
Registered
683 Posts
"Always use Synthetic Trans Oil" bad advice in my book. Most tranny builders don't recommend using any synthetic trans oil. My stock tranny the shifts became soft and on the tear down the O-rings became very soft! No synthetics in my car ever again! My experience and several tranny builders advice. Gene

1 - 20 of 27 Posts