Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if everyone knows or not but Autometer currently has a recall on their Electric fuel pressure gauges. The model numbers on recall are:

and sender: 2248

I guess the sender leaks and burns your car to the ground or something.

I'm going to petition them for a full sweep gauge as a replacement, or a different type of gauge and then go back to my mechanical gauge.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got a reply from autometer on this, they'll send me a knew full sweep for free.

Just thought I'd advise anyone else, that may be in the same boat, also the full sweep is way easier to read and perfect for our cars. 0-100psi

HTH

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, not that I have any testimony or anything. The complaint I had with the old one was that it's hard to read, numbers are in large scale (marks every say 15psi). The full sweep reads 0-100psi and has marks every 5psi. Dunno about accuracy, I can speculate that some guys would get problems if they were installed with the sending unit at a distance from the rail. Pump head of the fuel line is probably higher than one would think.

Basically the only reasons I had one in the first place was:

1. To know if something is really FDUP, I set the FPR using a mechanical gauge off the rail.
2. Thought it looked cool, and I could at least watch pressure go up with boost. (without breaking out the duct tape, or screwing a gauge to my hood)
3. 'cause

[This message has been edited by PRSRIZD_V6 (edited May 22, 2002).]

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
My Autometer mechanical works fine, they did send me the updated mechanical isolator for free when my first one died.

Second one has been in there 2-3 years now.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by salvageV6:
My Autometer mechanical works fine, they did send me the updated mechanical isolator for free when my first one died.

Second one has been in there 2-3 years now.
Note number 2 in above post, without screwing a gauge to my hood. If you have a mechanical gauge inside the car, I hope you have a fire extinguiher too.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
They have isolators for the 100 psi. mechanical gauge and they are more accurate than the electrical gauges in MHO.

There is an alternative to the recalled product for an in-car Autometer mechanical gauge. I was just trying to point that out.

Only thing inside the car right now is antifreeze and water mixture, fuel stays under the hood. The isolator does just what it's name implies.

I do have a fire extinguisher in the car too.

[This message has been edited by salvageV6 (edited May 22, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I guess I dunno what an isolator is for a gauge. From context I would assume a capsul of sorts that will contain leaks.... but I dunno.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I believe it is a diaphragm that isolates the fuel from the water. However pressure is passed accross the membrane so the water will impact the mechanical gauge just like the fuel would have only much safer in the car.

Still need a fuel to isolator hose off the fuel rail however under the hood.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey like I said, I set pressure from the rail with a nice mechanical gauge. I'll just get the full sweep replacement they are gonna send me. Hopefully I won't need to replace any wires.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I believe Autometer has some of the best customer service in the Auto. business.

I am sure they will treat you great!

·
Habitual Line Stepper
401 Posts
i have the new autometer full sweep electrical gauge and it is very nice.it is accurate and sensitive and i'm very happy with it so far.

except for the $180 price tag

later,sean

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my Autometer gauge this weekend, it's going back in soon. Need to make a new bracket for it though as the sending unit is much smaller than my previous one. might mount it on the feed line just before the rail. WOn't be perfectly accurate, but so what.

Looks nice and much more useable than the cheeseball I returned for it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Does anyone know about or use the Westach Electric Fuel Gauge? I've heard they're supposed to be the most accurate. I've seen them used in planes. And, instruments for anything aeromotive are supposed to be highly accurate?

I currently have the Autometer Mechanical in the engine compartment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts