Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

We have been invited to join the Huge show in Oshawa hosted by the Motor City
Car Club.

There are still some logistics to work out but we will be a featured Club with
Preferred parking.

Those that have been it will be similar to the Corvette club that attends each year.

I will post up further details as I get them.

All Turbo Buicks will be Welcome

Show is in August (23-25)
Autofest Oshawa - Prepare to be amazed!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Congratulations on being allowed to participate. I know from experience that usually, the show organizers don't allow vehicles that are newer than their year restriction to participate in the show. I tried to get in there several times over the years, and was poorly treated by the organizers.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeh I'm not to fond of this show either maybe all of us Gbody guys have to stick together.

Nothing worse then being told your car is a 1987 then you look into the show and see brand new corvettes and 80's elcaminos:confused:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
show and shine

I have a friend that had GNX and he try'ed and was told he could not enter the show a few years ago , That show's a joke.

·
Registered
415 Posts
As I said before, congratulations on being able to attend this show to all of the turbo Buick folks. I find it a bit puzzling though, that the organizers will allow cars built 1981 and older to attend, customized trucks from 1982-2011 to attend, and select groups with newer vehicles to attend (i.e. the Corvette owners, and now turbo Buick owners), and will allow those who have purchased space as vendors to bring in newer vehicles, but will not allow owners of most other stock and modified cars built after 1981, and stock trucks built after 1981 to attend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just my 2 cents here....
First off I stand on both sides of the fence.
I have been to the show most years with my '70 GTO, it "fits" in and all is happy.
The show it self is well run, a great venue and beautiful cars to look at.
The other side of the fence, I am a passionate Turbo Buick owner. I also have a 16 year old daughter who loves the hobby and bought herself a mint (I mean perfect) 86' Trans Am. She has grown up with my hobby and is the future of it. With this in mind, I (in company of my daughter) approached a member of the hosting club and enquired about a future change on entry year policy, I was treated so ignorantly that I had to walk away before I became physical.....
So here we stand. I see both sides of the coin.
My decision?
I am taking the high road, I will be attending to fly the the Turbo Buick flag.
We will get positive attention, and who knows what other doors will open.
Let's go show 'em what a real Monte Carlo SS looks like.....

·
Registered
637 Posts
That's the problem the young people that will Carrie on the hobbie and by turning me down in my car it makes me mad. But oh we'll life is tuff when you own a gbody

·
Registered
415 Posts
First off, I want to say that the people on this site have been great in the way that they've treated me, even though I don't own a turbo Buick (I do own a Monte SS). They've welcomed me to their get-togethers, and treated me with respect, and for that, I'm very grateful.
My Monte has been in my family since new. I've owned it since 1988, and I participated in my first car show in 1989. In my first few years of showing the car, for me, it was all about coming home with a trophy. Then I got talking with a friend who is in the hobby, and he told me that trophys aren't really important, because in the end, they will sit on a shelf and collect dust. After awhile, I realized he was right. I like to get out in the car now to join other car hobby people, enjoy their company, and see other interesting cars. Our cars will evoke emotions and memories in people, about various times and situations in their lives. People come up to me at car shows and cruise nights, and even when I'm driving down the road, or at a gas station filling up the car, and tell me that they like my car, and tell me different stories about a car that they had like mine, or other interesting tales about how a car affected their lives. Now, for me, that's why I like to get out, and participate in the car hobby.
Bringing this back to the topic of this thread, for me, there shouldn't be boundaries in this hobby, like year and model restrictions, for that kind of fun and enjoyment. Any car, regardless of year, make or model, can evoke an emotion in someone. Newer cars will obviously evoke emotions in younger people, since they can relate better to them. As Mini740 has pointed out, young people are the future of the hobby. The way I see it, year restrictions are divisive. They tend to divide the hobby, rather than uniting it, and if the car hobby is going to carry on, what with emission control, noise and other concerns facing us, then the hobby needs to be united.
If a car show is well run and organized, and has some clear rules regarding the conduct of those who are participating, then I don't see any reason why everyone would not be welcome. Young or old, I believe that everyone has something to contribute. I've seen some newer cars with some pretty cool stuff done to them by younger people, as well as some nice older cars as well. Maybe my fault is that I like pretty much any kind of car or truck.
Sorry for the long-winded post (rant?). Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can certainly understand the Frustration that comes with not being welcomed with open arms at a car show.

The fact is the car club has bent their sacred rules to allow some select cars to enter their show because they have recognized the fact there are some very worthy cars being left out.

Only in the last few years have they opened up the rules to include special interest car clubs like the Corvette club.

This show really is a great event, it draws cars from south of the border as well as across Canada.

:cheers:

·
Registered
637 Posts
well ... I baught a Turbo Buick just to attend where do I sign up?:dunno::D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Just my 2 cents here....
First off I stand on both sides of the fence.
I have been to the show most years with my '70 GTO, it "fits" in and all is happy.
The show it self is well run, a great venue and beautiful cars to look at.
The other side of the fence, I am a passionate Turbo Buick owner. I also have a 16 year old daughter who loves the hobby and bought herself a mint (I mean perfect) 86' Trans Am. She has grown up with my hobby and is the future of it. With this in mind, I (in company of my daughter) approached a member of the hosting club and enquired about a future change on entry year policy, I was treated so ignorantly that I had to walk away before I became physical.....
So here we stand. I see both sides of the coin.
My decision?
I am taking the high road, I will be attending to fly the the Turbo Buick flag.
We will get positive attention, and who knows what other doors will open.
Let's go show 'em what a real Monte Carlo SS looks like.....
Well said Mark...

:6::cheers::6:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Autofest 2013

Lmao :D

I will post more info as I receive it

Hi Bill,

As this date approaches.......wondering if you've got any news / update for us?
Has anyone pre registered?
I haven't registered yet & I now see that the entry fee went up on August 1st.

Can I just register on the Friday?

What's the game plan for meeting up as a group, etc, etc?

Hope you can chime in when you get home from BPG.

thanks,

dave

·
Darth your car is ready!
326 Posts
How many Buick guys are going? Which days and are you staying overnight?

Thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I'm planning on attending, however would be driving the car back home to Mississauga each night.....it's only an hours drive & if the 401 is buggered up (like it usually is) there's always the 407.

Hey, haven't heard if anyone has registered yet?????

dave

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Here is an update for you guys. Bill is away this week and will let all know what the plan is for car show. I think it is a fairly simple process so no need to register at this time. He will let all know how to proceed soon.

:6::cheers::6:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.