Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get on it and build 5-6 pounds of boost there is a wierd sound like a high pitched tuning fork. I hear the turbo whistle at about 2-3 then this takes over. The was tuned by Lou not too long ago so I dont figure I should be getting any at this low of boost. Yes I know... get a scantool, but its really not in the budget right now. Any ideas would be great.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
get a scan tool.

Is changing head gaskets in your budget? Let's see, they are $35 per side, and the intake gasket is $20.

A scanmaster is only $250

just busting your chops.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
it took me 12 months to get one, now that I have one, I tell my self that scanmaster should have been on the dash 12 months ago.

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
TA-49, 009's, Hooker cat back, and all the other usual stuff

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
har har har... ok, I promise I'll get one right after a timing chain and some valve springs, maybe some suspension parts too
. But am I correct in guessing that this isn't a normal sound?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
doesn/t sound like knock....hoses tight?

turbo shaft bearings okay?

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Sounds like a chipped turbine/compressor wheel and the unit is out of balance. I'd take a look in there.

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The turbo is relatively new, but my IC hoses are kind of in a bad way, and I've been meaning to replace them. Thanks for the advise guys. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Scan tool should be ahead of the parts you listed above. Just my $.02.

------------------

Jim Anson, 87 GN with: TA-49; 50# injectors; 62mm Hemco; 3" DP; Walbro 340; CAS V-4; and SMC alcohol system. Stock long block, transmission, and converter. Best run of [email protected] with JL 110 chip, 110 octane and 23# boost.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
SCan tool should be the in the top two first purchases....it and a boost gauge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya ya I know, however a scan tool wont do me much good if the car doesnt run, and there are a couple of things I need to do to get this car back into the category of reliable driver. Gots to hvae a good foundation to build on before I get crazy with boost and mods. But then again thats just my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts