Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get help for this problem for sometime and have not had any luck finding out whats wrong. I posted another thread and still no luck. Well, I can be leaving the driveway the car will shift out into 2nd gear and then I get a loud winding noise and boost doesn't seem to go over 5lbs on factory boost gauge and rpm's are across the board but after market tach reads ok, it seems like something is in a bind. I'm not sure where its coming from but sounds as if it could be coming from the turbo, so I sent it to Limit Engineering and had it rebuilt. I got it back, bolted it back on but still had the same results. So back to the drawing board, took it out for a test drive, pulling out the drive, car change into 2nd and start winding. I give it a little more accelleration it gets louder and car doesn't really seem to gain any speed. Pull back into the yard and popped the hood at idle the car seems alright and rev the rpm's way up and you here the winding noise but only when you rev it way up. It seems as if its still coming from the turbo but also could be the intercooler or filter. Could this possibly could be a blown head gasket or wiped cam? But also the cam is only about 7 months old and a few hundred miles but then again who knows. So please give some answers.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
It's going to be hard to diagnose the car with the factory Boost and RPM LED's, they are horribly inaccurate unless you have had them repaired.

It's also going to be tough to say for sure what is wrong with your car without some more info from a scan tool. I guess the things I would start looking for is stuff like loose intercooler hoses or transmission/converter problems. Can you duplicate the noise in Park?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All hoses seem to be ok. I was also wondering could the transmission be a possibilty? Let me mention, when this problem first occurred I was going down the interstate when all of sudden the car stopped pulling and making that winding noise I mentioned, I drove the car home and parked it did about 20mph all the way there. This where the problem started. The scanmaster readings also seem to be normal.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Does the transmission have sufficient fluid? Have you pulled the transmission pan to look for problems like burnt fluid or trash in the fluid?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well about a 16 to 18 months ago I had the transmission rebuilt and converted back to a lockup trans and convertor. The torque convertor is new also I purchased it from Kenne-Bell 11inch 2800 stall.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh also there is alot of trans fluid under the car but fluid level is right. Trans pan bolts are loose.

·
prostitution for TR parts
1,477 Posts
Have you pulled the MAF pipe off the turbo and checked if there is any shaft play? Could be wheels hitting the housings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No shaft play, turbo is freshly rebuilt just put it back on car last week and experiencing same problem before rebuild.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Is your turbo oil feed line plugged? :dunno:

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
8ball said:
Yeh also there is alot of trans fluid under the car but fluid level is right. Trans pan bolts are loose.
did you over fill it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I probaly did over fill it because I did have trans line to break to a few months ago and once again there is no shaft play. What about a bad actuator. Will this cause problems of this nature?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What do you mean by a plugged oil feed line. Yes, its hooked up but do you mean is it stopped up. And what would be the symptoms if it is?

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
If the problem only occours in second gear then chances are it's a tranny problem... possibly a broken band or bad piston.
If you let it get up into 3rd does the problem go away?

I didn't see if you mentioned if you took the trans pan off, if not do so and check for shrapnell. Also smell the trans fluid, does it smell burnt?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe they mentioned a bad coil pack on your post instead of a MAF. Well the problem don't only occur in 2nd, it will change out into other gears but that noise is pretty high pitch, so I don't want to accellerate too muuch until I diagnose the problem. I don't have time to drop the pan right now but I will in a couple days although the fluid doesn't smell burnt. Thanks for all your help so far guys. Keep it coming.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well, that was just something they suggested. They never said that was it. I just put a new coil pack on and it does the same thing. Now i just have to try the MAF.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My MAF is new(7months old) also but its one of those from Advanced Auto Parts. I have heard that they are not good but the scanmaster readings are ok.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Check it out at one of the known tranny vendors in your area. That kind of whine is compatable with a bad converter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spoke with a transmission guy that rebuilds them. He also said this sounds like a bad convertor but I did not know that this will still let transmission to shift out and just not pull like any power. Cause on guys, take me to school, I'm trying to learn all I can about this car. I have spent thousands of dollars on this car. ONe problem after an another, almost everything major on this car is new.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts