Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Word has it that there will one day be a boost sensing input for the Direct Scan. I have heard this rumor for 2 years now. We have all heard that it's "coming soon"..

Please tell us if this is bs, so we can forget about it and not get our hopes up.

Is there *any* further developement on this product? Or are we stuck with WYSIWYG???

Thank you for any information.

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Orlando-87GN
I think a bunch of us are all sitting in the same boat WAITING. Perhaps a mass E-mail campaign to Kent Chu at http://www.chuengineering.com/
will help put the upgrades into motion.
I have privately E-mailed him in the past and he says his day job demands all his time, but to hang in there, sooner or later he will make the time for the upgrades.
In my opinion the demmand is there for the promised upgrades and a lot of people are sitting on the fence waiting for the upgrade to come out before they buy. I suggest that he take on a partner or some help or even farm out a portion of the work, if he doesn't have the time to work on the upgrade and get the ball in motion.
Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
If this feature is added, sounds like it would utilize the wastegate solenoid for the masses. Would that not leave the Max Effort users and others who use manual control of boost out the window?

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nah. The stock wastegate solenoid is just an electric bleeder valve. It just opens and closes to bleed off air. It can not measure boost pressure.

The ECM of the TR's are quite ignorant. They have no clue how much "boost" the engine is actually seeing.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got a promising email from Kent Chu.

If you have Direct Scan and would like to inquire about the boost sensing option, drop him an email at mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Hi Mike,

Yup... it's true. I am working on a boost sensing option for DS. Development
has been a bit slow due to my increasing day job responsibilities. However,
it will definitely come out.

Thanks,
-------------
Kent Chu
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

------------------

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Basically the same response I got a while ago. Lets hope it's a little bit closer this time.
Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Can Direct Scan and or Turbo Link be used at the same time as the scanmaster?
My scanmaster went crazy when I hooked up the OTC 2000 to the car?

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
TA-49, 009's, Hooker cat back, and all the other usual stuff

·
Registered
817 Posts
Wow Mike you must be special..
I've emailed kent Several times, and yet still havent had a response..
even tried talking with conleys..
I think kent should enlist someone else to give him a hand, maybe red A???

------------------

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
People are already doing this with dirrect scan:

Buy a boost sensing harness form Ken Mosher.

Unplug your IAT sensor from your air filter.

plug the cable into the sensor lead and into a 3 bar map sensor.

Plug the vacuum port on the map sensor into an air pump with a boost gage attached.

chart IAT reading on direct scan with boost gage readings in 1 or .5 psi increment.

stop when you get to 28 psi or so.

Put everything back together and make a pass.

Observe the IAT readings and use your chart to tell you what the boost is. You could probably use turbolink to make a chart too, just by leaving the boost sensing harness on, but running in IAT mode.

The only thing left to work out is how to "zero" the sensor like T-link does.

Sounds like some fairly straight forward software for someone who is smart.

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UNGN - Yes this would probably work for most users. I have been told by Steve before though, that the max effort utilizes the IAT and robbing it in effort to read boost wouldn't work too well.

Instead of a work around, I guess we are all wondering if Direct Scan is ever going to have any further developement.

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess since I use Max Effort there is no hope.
Bob

------------------
Bob Hinson

[This message has been edited by Bobtempest (edited December 11, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Of course, there is hope. It is simply a question of when.

Kent has a difficult time of supplying his vendors with product currently due to his full time job work load. It is not that he does not care nor was it a feature he promised when he sold the original units. It was something he promised to look into. Unlike many, he seems to have some principles against stealing Ken's idea and technique.

I, too, run ME chips. Steve does use the MAT numbers altho I don't think they normally do much. The danger is that inputting boost into the circuit may create values that will trigger the fueling adjustments to the detriment of what is required.

Anyone who bases not buying DS because it does not have a boost sensing option is being overly anal in my opinion. It is nice but not an absolute requirement. If you are going fast enuf to need DS, you are probably not seeing much in TL at a 1.4 sec sample rate.

The reason to not buy DS is more in the shaky connector termination and the flaky things that happen if the connection is not absolutely clean and in the right place.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use DS and Its great! I also kept TL with boost sensor, so I can help friends. Maybe Kent should cut Ken in a little with an agreement to use his idea.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Someone from other Board posted, Hope he will not mine. I wonder what is going on?
Bob

"From what I understand, Direct Scan will never be upgraded again, I am under the impression that Mr Chu is out of the bussiness and pretty much sold the rights for making DS. Somebody correct me if I am wrong."

[This message has been edited by Bobtempest (edited December 11, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by Grannynational:
Can Direct Scan and or Turbo Link be used at the same time as the scanmaster?
My scanmaster went crazy when I hooked up the OTC 2000 to the car?

Joe
A long time ago, when I had a conventional chip I had problems too. I was told if one has a chip with the fast rate incorporated into it, you will run into problems. So the car has a toggle switch to turn off the Scanmaster. I don't worry about it anymore though, after getting a MaxEffort.

------------------
MJ

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys. Got a response from Kent -

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the heads up.

I know that everyone is looking foward to the DS boost sensing option
- and I do sincerely apologize for not getting it out earlier. With
any luck, my Christmas vacation (from my day job) will be just that -
a vacation from my day job. What this means is that I should be able
to devote time to the DS upgrade.

Also, to rest any fears that I have "sold the DS rights" - no. I
still own DirectScan in every sense - from design and development
through to manufacturing.

Feel free to post the above e-mail to the TurboBuicks board.

Thanks,

---------------------------------------------------
Kent Chu mailto:[email protected]
Chu Engineering http://www.ChuEngineering.com
---------------------------------------------------
------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts