Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience w/ the ATR cold air induction that has a box that mounts near the IC. I know there are a lot of systems out there. Would like reviews on systems,as to which one is the best to purchase.
I am also looking for the kit that increases your oil preasure. I checked w/ the parts store and they have no clue. I purchased one of these many yrs. ago and I think it consisted of a plate and a few springs.
THanks,
Jack

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Not sure what cold air kit you are speaking of. I know ATR makes the 'bad boy' cold air kit which is a 14" K&N filter mounted behind the drivers headlight. I use that and it works pretty well.

In regards to increasing oil pressure, the parts store didn't know what you were referring to probably b/c it doesn't exist :) . Now if you are referring to the booster plate that increases oil pump volume capabilities, I believe they are made by Melling and/or Sealed Power. A lot of folks don't like these kits though due to added stresses on the cam sensor drive. A nicely ported front cover, tight bearing clearances and radiused oil passages in the block will make for some very respectible oil pressure numbers even while using some thin oil.

If you are having oil pressure 'problems' you might need to look elsewhere like bearing clearance, condition of the motor, what type of oil you are using ect. I have personally used 20/50w oil with great success in a tired bullet. While it did raise oil pressure a tad, the only benefit was probably peace of mind... powersix

·
Registered
309 Posts
The booster plate isn't what people shy away from it's the longer pump gears which supposedly put more stress on the front cam bearing...adding a booster plate is a good idea...have it on both my TR's for years now and no problems...

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Oops, I suppose the booster plate is what gives the oil pump gears a new surface to ride on.

What I was referring to was the longer pump gears in conjunction with the deeper pump cavity..

:)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Yes, like Scott said. The plate does add more volume but it does not make an appreciable increase in load...not like the long gears.

Ask for the booster plate kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts