Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Little Engine Tht Can
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heres the article

Atco Raceway Sold

Atco, NJ Wednesday December 19, 2012 –Atco Raceway was sold in its entirety to Mr. Len Capone Jr. of Berlin, New Jersey. The negotiation for the oldest continually operating drag strip on the East Coast took over 16 months and has concluded on a Win light for all…the track will continue to operate as it has in the past.

The Capone families are very familiar with the racing scene and have a great passion for the sport of drag racing. Len Capone Sr. a racer himself who was present for the 1960 opening day of Atco Raceway worked in the tech department on Memorial Day weekend. Len Capone Jr. started as a sportsman racer and is very well known for his Top Alcohol Funny Car “The Bear” that raced the strip in the late 80’s and 90’s.

Joe Sway has been retained as Director of Operations and is under exclusive contract for 2013 and 2014 with 3-1 year options to follow.

The 2013 tentative schedule will be posted on the web site AtcoRaceway.com mid January. There are no major changes to the race schedule for 2013~a couple of new races will be added but for the most part you will see our lineup has not changed.

Atco Raceway would like to thank everyone for their participation in the 2012 race season. We are positive that the continued support of all racers, fans and patrons will continue to make this a racing destination and the #1 track on the East Coast.

·
Registered
947 Posts
ATCO sold

congrats to the new owner they will have a great year this coming season due to NHRAs new rulings regarding newer cars can now run fast times without a need to install the PITA cage!!!! correct me if i'm wrong down to 9.99 ? E-town did a closed gate rental last month (turkey run) and they let 4 GTRs run in the 8s without cages:eek!:

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
yup as Pauly pointed out the key word is "Unaltered". Most cars going that quick will not be stock and will technically require a bar.

·
Registered
947 Posts
new rule

ha ha time will tell and not sure if Atco crew has the capability to tell if a factory car with street tires,factory air filter,factory body cladding is altered or not:D what are they gonna do dropped your gas tank to see if you have 2 huge pumps, pry the dashboard to see if u have a different computer, etc...???? i'll say most of the folks will stay mid 10s under 135 and drive home satisfied:cheers: sometimes will dip into the 9s @ 138 and head home without goin back to the pit.

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
the NEW roll bar exempt only applies to unaltered hardtop cars 2008 and newer slower than 9.99 135mph
so if you run 10.0 or under 135 you are good ,
but once over 135 or 9.99 ... roll cage time

and even though rule changes state you dont need a roll bar , the initial release of the change doesnt say anything about the rest of the car or driver . if its just the roll bar the rest of the required items for your et speed will be needed
and rule also states "UNALTERED" ..

heres more
NHRA DRAGS: STREET LEGAL STYLE PRESENTED BY AAA (Page xiv) (5th paragraph)
Additionally rRequirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

100% UNALTERED cars only qualify for this ,drag radials,slicks,cold air intakes etc. and you need a bar. This will not effect the faster and smarter drivers here so buy a bar if you plan to go fast.

http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/2012 to 2013 Rule Book Amendments.pdf

from a post on SVT forum when they asked NHRA about "unaltered "

* The rule applies to any 2008 or newer unmodified (bone stock) hardtop;
Pat Cvengros
Pacific Division Technical*Director
yup as Pauly pointed out the key word is "Unaltered". Most cars going that quick will not be stock and will technically require a bar.
Bout time. I disagree though. "Unaltered" has not been defined yet. I take it as cars that don't have body kits to make them lighter. The rule would make no sense since there are no 2008 cars that run 9.99 bone stock. So you can take a 08 poopstang hard top, and as long as the body structure is not 'altered', you can put slicks and a nasty motor in her and run 10s with no cage without getting booted. Otherwise, the rule would be geared to cars made in 2014 where it would basically give the automakers permission to make faster cars. The zr1 does 10.30s with drag radials only. that's the way i took it after reading for 5 minutes. i could be wrong though. i will read it some more. cool change though especially for my Z.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts