Turbo Buick Forums banner

At the dyno

481 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Renthorin 
#1 ·
I was on a dyno this past Friday (my car was) and I wanted to do a 1/4 mile simulation. I tried to hold some boost like I would at the track but could not. The rollers started turning long before I got to 1 lb.

Is this a sign that my rear brakes are shot? I also get a lot of squeel from the front brakes once they heat up. They seem to run hot all the time. Again....tired rear brakes?

I am thiking of the larger rear cylinders and soft shoes (both the same size) but as I like to spin the tires on the road in front of the house....and don't want a line lock.....perhaps I should just live with poor rear brakes and lots of front braking power.

The car does not nose dive that I can notice.

Thoughts? Are the rears probably ok?

#2 ·
They rollers are supposed to roll. They probably would have spun if you could have held any boost anyways.

The Dyno doesnt measure your 1/4 time anyways so what were you doing?

What did the car dyno?

------------------
Mike Schoenfeld

#3 ·
I asked the guy about spinning my tires on the dyno...he said "hell no". The rollers had some type of textured surface that was very grippy.

The 1/4 mile test would have been to hold the brake, build some boost, let her rip. The dyno would start timing as soon as the rollers started to turn. At the end of 1/4 mile worth of rolling I would get an e/t and a mph.

My problem was they began to turn before I had even torqued up the engine a tiny bit. Best E/T that way was 14.1 at 99 mph

My numbers at the rear axle were good, so he said. Being mostly stock I was pleased with them.

223.3 HP & 308.83 ft-lbs.

Assuming a 20% loss through the drive train that has me at about 280 hp & 386 ft-lbs

------------------
87 Grand National - 23k,T-tops, Red Armstrong xp pump, 93 chip/Thrasher 92 (not sure which one I like better), and volt booster. VC breathers, stealth engine anchor, trans cooler, Fast Freddie knock detector, VDO boost/vac gauge. Stock motor and exhaust except for a test pipe. K&N filter in stock box with bottom half removed. Car weighed in at 3490 without me in the seat.

89 Daytona ES Turbo - daily driver (not too slow)

[This message has been edited by Renthorin (edited July 25, 2001).]

#4 ·
The dyno wheel obviously turns. It does not resist movement as the ground does so your brakes will not be able to hold as well.

What boost can you hold on pavement? That is the only means of truly assessing your brake performance.
)

Numbers sound pretty good as a start.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

#5 ·
To get the rear wheels to break loose on the pavement in front of the house I have to build up about 4-6 lbs of boost.

BTW, how much damage am I doing to the car by not having a line lock when I burn the tires in the street?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.