Turbo Buick Forums banner

Will you boycott the New York Times?

• I won't subscribe to or buy the New York Times any more!

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I never subscribed to or bought the New York Times.

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Sign me up for another year!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 1 4.3%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm waiting to see the firestorm over this fly.

Do you plan on boycotting the New York Times?? Do you applaud their Freedom of Press moxy? Don't care?

·
8,392 Posts
Another non-issue designed by the right to distract the masses from the real issues. Its the right trying deperately to take the spotlight off their failures, lawbreaking and corruption. Peter King is a phony baloney

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
another attack by the Fifth Column within us to aid our enemies in destroying this country so that it can be rebuilt in their image.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Most of you only see the condensed out of town or Internet version. Being local I see the rag on the newsstands everyday. Sunday edition must be 3000 pages. :eek!:

·
8,392 Posts
Just remember Wood, everything the right says(which you agree with), they always implement the opposite:

Clear skies initiative = allow more pollution
Healthy forests ini. = cut down all the trees
Smaller federal govt = bigger federal govt
Fiscal consevativism = $10trillion in debt
Welfare reform = add corporate welfare
no nation building = nation building
Exit strategy = build permanent military bases to stay forever
personal responsiblity= blame the messenger
No activist judges = Activist judges( this supreme court is overturning cases like crazy)

you're just not paying attention..

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Gothmog said:
Just remember Wood, everything the right says(which you agree with), they always implement the opposite:

Clear skies initiative = allow more pollution
Healthy forests ini. = cut down all the trees
Smaller federal govt = bigger federal govt
Fiscal consevativism = $10trillion in debt
Welfare reform = add corporate welfare
no nation building = nation building
Exit strategy = build permanent military bases to stay forever
personal responsiblity= blame the messenger
No activist judges = Activist judges( this supreme court is overturning cases like crazy)

you're just not paying attention..
I dont give chit about their political issues. Being a car guy I stopped reading their dribble when their appointed a$ssclown Thomas Freidman started toughting Toyota as "Americas Car Company". When did this pedestrian become an expert on any thing to do with the automobile industry? Toyota and the imports are just as bad if not worse than GM is on their best day. You wouldn't know that if the only news you read was the NYT. Here is a good example: http://select.nytimes.com/gst/tsc.h...BGQ3EzMQ3EoQ3BuQ5DuoQ5DQ3EzMihuQ516RPQ5DAe4RF

Sorry,I haven't figured out this desktop computer thing yet. I'm an old time copy and paste guy.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Gothmog said:
Another non-issue designed by the right to distract the masses from the real issues. Its the right trying deperately to take the spotlight off their failures, lawbreaking and corruption. Peter King is a phony baloney

Gothy, You and I don't see eye to eye very often, but I do read your posts and try to see your side. If your gonna' back up the NYT on this...I'm sorry I just won't be able to take you seriously any more. :eek!:

Just remember the Libs went into Freak Mode about the outing of Valerie Plame...can't we Freak on the NYT informing our enemies? Hell I've even seen hardcore Libs bitchn' about what the NYT did.

·
8,392 Posts
RobsIron said:
Gothy, You and I don't see eye to eye very often, but I do read your posts and try to see your side. If your gonna' back up the NYT on this...I'm sorry I just won't be able to take you seriously any more. :eek!:

Just remember the Libs went into Freak Mode about the outing of Valerie Plame...can't we Freak on the NYT informing our enemies? Hell I've even seen hardcore Libs bitchn' about what the NYT did.
you make a good point, if Bush fires Karl Rove for leaking classified information, then I'll boycott the times.

BTW 2 weeks after 9/11 Bush announced to the public that they had begun tracking Al queda's bank records. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If you believe that I agree with everything the Right says, you are even dumber than I could possibly imagine. :sw:

·
8,392 Posts
you are a conservative....

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Stop looking at the news as a public service and start looking at it as an entertainment medium and you will have no problems with it. Just as you can't believe everything you read about Brad and Angelina, you can't believe everything you read or hear from the "hard news" sources. It's all biased, a lot of it is simply untrue, and that which turns out to be true often has its significance overplayed and is really unimportant when taken in its true context.

·
8,392 Posts
Zap said:
Stop looking at the news as a public service and start looking at it as an entertainment medium and you will have no problems with it. Just as you can't believe everything you read about Brad and Angelina, you can't believe everything you read or hear from the "hard news" sources. It's all biased, a lot of it is simply untrue, and that which turns out to be true often has its significance overplayed and is really unimportant when taken in its true context.
you mean like this http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1020-11.htm

exerpt:
University of Maryland found that those who relied on Fox for their news were more likely than those who relied on any other news source to have what the study called "significant misperceptions" about the war in Iraq.

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Stop believing the liberal tripe and start thinking for yourself. Stop believing the conservative tripe and start thinking for yourself. Start thinking for yourself. 99% of the people can't, that's what keeps the tripe going.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Gothmog said:
you are a conservative....
absolutely not...but that damn sure does not make me a hate America left winger, either.

I am like most people. Middle of the road on most issues, and left, or right, of center on others.

I am dead against the left wing that would destroy those things that made us what we are. That does not mean I support the far right, however.

I don't need to read some idiot's blog to tell me what is right and wrong. I am old enuf to know that the democrats have stolen as many elections, and, I suspect, a lot more, than the republicans. Neither party has the monopoly on morality. (unless we give the Clinton and Kennedy dynasties their own party as they might then have the monopoly on the lack thereof)

I don't believe that extremists of either ilk have my best interests at heart. I do believe that many conservatives want to maintain what made this country strong, and prosperous, as opposed to liberals who want to remake us into something that has already failed elsewhere in the world. Of course, many of these liberals don't intend to sacrifice any of their own wealth..simply equalize the rest of us.

Unlike you, I have worked all over the world and have distinct opinions based upon my own observations as to how good others have it. I don't have to read someone else's views to develop my own.

I don't give a damn if other countries like us, or not. I already know that many hate us for both our continued prosperity and, our freedoms.

I believe in equal opportunity for all, but, I don't believe in subsidizing anyone no matter how history tells us they were once abused. I believe in abolition of the welfare system. I would replace it with a public service system. If one wants/needs assistance from the public, one should have to work for that assistance.

I believe this country needs a new political party that represents the centrist philosophy and that the far left and the far right should be relegated to "nut" status in voters' minds.

I believe the far left is morally bankrupt. I believe the far right are often simply stupid.

I believe that those men and women that have served our nation in it's armed forces should be exalted, and rewarded with a significant tax deduction as well as given preferential treatment in other ways. I believe that charity begins at home, and, that foreign aid should be only in the name of disaster relief. National service should be mandantory, but, should not only cover military services.

I believe that Hollywood high school drop outs have the right to present their views, but, I also believe that their opinions should be given the weight they deserved...preferably a lead weight tied around their necks and dropped wherever Jimmy Hoffa was dropped.

I don't believe that freedom of speech includes cohabiting with terrorists, or supporters of terrorism. I am all for "mining" of telephone records to see who is doing so.

I am pro-choice, have no problem with those that want three wives, husbands, or live with a sheep...long as they don't live in my neighborhood, anyway. I am for a flat tax, a 50% reduction in governmental staff, elimination of civil service retirement going forward, and a complete overhaul of Social Security.

I believe flag burners should be sent to their new country of choice.

I believe the party that receives the mandate of the voters should be allowed to govern. The losers should shut the hell up and be the loyal opposition rather than setting out to overcome the will of the people other than by the ballot box.

Elected officials should become for a limited time, the servants of the people rather than occupants of a gilded tower.

I believe in buying American....as long as the quality is equal or better than available elsewhere. In the meantime, I believe in insuring that our import duties provide an even playing field when it comes to fair pricing so that our companies that do produce high quality products can continue to do so.

I don't give a damn what the French, Germans, Japanese, or Chinese think about our tariffs. Throw the Aussies and Kiwi's in the same pot.

If the trend continues, no one will have to defeat us militarily, they will do it thru economic means.

I believe a lot of other things, as well, but, I am sure you will find a blog to quote that states I am a conservative. :yup:

·
Boost Addict?
2,080 Posts
Steve Wood said:
absolutely not...but that damn sure does not make me a hate America left winger, either.

I am like most people. Middle of the road on most issues, and left, or right, of center on others.

I am dead against the left wing that would destroy those things that made us what we are. That does not mean I support the far right, however.

I don't need to read some idiot's blog to tell me what is right and wrong. I am old enuf to know that the democrats have stolen as many elections, and, I suspect, a lot more, than the republicans. Neither party has the monopoly on morality. (unless we give the Clinton and Kennedy dynasties their own party as they might then have the monopoly on the lack thereof)

I don't believe that extremists of either ilk have my best interests at heart. I do believe that many conservatives want to maintain what made this country strong, and prosperous, as opposed to liberals who want to remake us into something that has already failed elsewhere in the world. Of course, many of these liberals don't intend to sacrifice any of their own wealth..simply equalize the rest of us.

Unlike you, I have worked all over the world and have distinct opinions based upon my own observations as to how good others have it. I don't have to read someone else's views to develop my own.

I don't give a damn if other countries like us, or not. I already know that many hate us for both our continued prosperity and, our freedoms.

I believe in equal opportunity for all, but, I don't believe in subsidizing anyone no matter how history tells us they were once abused. I believe in abolition of the welfare system. I would replace it with a public service system. If one wants/needs assistance from the public, one should have to work for that assistance.

I believe this country needs a new political party that represents the centrist philosophy and that the far left and the far right should be relegated to "nut" status in voters' minds.

I believe the far left is morally bankrupt. I believe the far right are often simply stupid.

I believe that those men and women that have served our nation in it's armed forces should be exalted, and rewarded with a significant tax deduction as well as given preferential treatment in other ways. I believe that charity begins at home, and, that foreign aid should be only in the name of disaster relief. National service should be mandantory, but, should not only cover military services.

I believe that Hollywood high school drop outs have the right to present their views, but, I also believe that their opinions should be given the weight they deserved...preferably a lead weight tied around their necks and dropped wherever Jimmy Hoffa was dropped.

I don't believe that freedom of speech includes cohabiting with terrorists, or supporters of terrorism. I am all for "mining" of telephone records to see who is doing so.

I am pro-choice, have no problem with those that want three wives, husbands, or live with a sheep...long as they don't live in my neighborhood, anyway. I am for a flat tax, a 50% reduction in governmental staff, elimination of civil service retirement going forward, and a complete overhaul of Social Security.

I believe flag burners should be sent to their new country of choice.

I believe the party that receives the mandate of the voters should be allowed to govern. The losers should shut the hell up and be the loyal opposition rather than setting out to overcome the will of the people other than by the ballot box.

Elected officials should become for a limited time, the servants of the people rather than occupants of a gilded tower.

I believe in buying American....as long as the quality is equal or better than available elsewhere. In the meantime, I believe in insuring that our import duties provide an even playing field when it comes to fair pricing so that our companies that do produce high quality products can continue to do so.

I don't give a damn what the French, Germans, Japanese, or Chinese think about our tariffs. Throw the Aussies and Kiwi's in the same pot.

If the trend continues, no one will have to defeat us militarily, they will do it thru economic means.

I believe a lot of other things, as well, but, I am sure you will find a blog to quote that states I am a conservative. :yup:
Steve what you said in this post so accurately describes the way I feel and believe is the way things should be. I'm sick of both parties currently. :usa:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Character seems to be too often missing today. At one time, there was no doubt as to what an individual stood for and we could count on that consistency.

One might not agree with someone's beliefs, but, we could count on that consistency of character from many. Today, I don't find it so. People are far too willing to accept dishonesty as a way of life. Does not matter if it is in the Buick car business, or politics. Honesty, integrity, high moral behavior don't seem to be important to people.

System has broken down somewhere along the line. It's not just unique to this country, either.

Perhaps we need a plague? I was thinking the other day that the ideal population for this country is about 200 million and we are fixing to hit 300. :dunno:

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
It all began when wimmen got the vote!! :rant:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I believe....

:swr:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts