Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having doubts about the "friend" I have building my motor and want to check if the pistons are in right. Specifically are the pistons in the right order. It seems odd that the rods are not in the center of the piston pin...

The pistons are hypers and are inserted with the marks towards the front of the car and I'm pretty sure they were pressed on correctly

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also if anyone has a picture of a correct installation it would be great!

·
Gone and almost forgotten
1,042 Posts
I think your pistons for the odd bank are in the even bank and the pistons for the even bank (2-4-6) are in the odd bank (1-3-5).

The dots on the rods need to be facing each other, the notches on the bearings need to be on the outside of the rod (towards side of block), and the slash side should be on the outside of each rod pair(toward front/rear of block).

Now, I think there may be differing opinions on this, but I think that is important so that the overall thrust of the crank is correct.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Looks like the rods are pressed on the pins backwards. The dots in the piston dish should point forward, but the offset on the rods are backwards. Sorry this is the best picture I can come up with, but you can see the caps are not facing the same way in your motor. Have you run this yet?

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Orlando_87gn: The motor has not been run yet... I just took the picture a few hours ago. At the rate its going gas will be $10/gal by the time it's done...

I think Real-T is right that all I need to do is to swap odd and evens. However I'd like to confirm

1) The two piston "cuts" face forward
2) The two dots on the rods for each pair of pistons face each other
3) The rod cap notches are on the outside of each pair

If 1-3 are correct this also means
4) that the rod cap notch is on the opposite side from the two dots on the rod. Right?

Also I can imagine that its not good for the rod to be off center from the piston as I would think it would cause the piston to lean and wear it and the cylinder unevenly.

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
?

I don't know how anyone can mess this up if a good machinist did the work. My machinist matched each rod/piston assembly into it's own cylinder. then stamped the cyl # on the side of the cap & rod. The pistons I used have a big arrow on top and it would be very hard to mess that up.

It's not that hard to build these motors. I've done 3 in the past 2 years. The first one I built I have in my daily driver now and it's got almost 9,000 miles on it. The 2nd one has about 5,000 miles on it and is driven daily. The 3rd is my back up and is in storage. If you're having a buddy do it and he is making these mistakes you may want to consider more research. Other parts of the motor assembly have their tricks as well. I just don't like to see anyone think they got it ready to go and it ends up costing you more money to do it all over again. I made this mistake when building a small block chevy and was very carefull when I did my Buicks.

Also I noticed you are not using ARP rod bolts. I try to use those in every motor I build for extra peace of mind.

I attached some pictures, maybe they'll help.

-Jason

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 qk 4 u: The problem is that there are two people involved: the machinst who did the work and the "friend" who is assembling. The machinest did label the rod and cap but that information doesn't help if he thinks #1 was the fron passenger side cylinder...

Since I'm only an internet mechanic (ie never done it) and I didn't have access to the machinist I had to hunt to find information. Its amazing how hard it is to find basic information like which cylinder is #1, how to tell if the rods are on the pistons correctly or how they should be installed on the internet.

I'll try to put up a page of the basic stuff that I couldn't find when I'm done so there's a place for future internet mechanics to look...

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
all you had to do was ask...:) Lot's of us have shop manuals as well as experience. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve Wood said:
all you had to do was ask...:) Lot's of us have shop manuals as well as experience. :)
I don't know what people like me would do without access to site's like yours, gnttype.org and the bulletin boards :headbang:

·
Registered
220 Posts
ahaeragain said:
I don't know what people like me would do without access to site's like yours, gnttype.org and the bulletin boards :headbang:
Aint that the truth. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
gnttype archives have just about anything you will ever want to know...when they are working :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts