Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my T i have my driver seat which has the power seat switches...but my passenger seat is just the pull the lever and slide crap...which of course doesnt work...was wondering if any GN's have a passenger side power seat. Maybe before I go ahead and get my passenger seat upholstered...i can get the parts to have it be put on . Are there any aftermarket kits etc...to get this done just like factory.?

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i think you can use the ones out of a caddy.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
cadillac cimmarons are a direct swap for track and switch with trim
since the cimmiron is a J body other j body cars could have them as well ,

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
It was'nt an option for the GN but you can use a driver side power track on the passenger side. You'll need a trim piece for the switches that some caddys had. I have a power seat track and was going to do my car with a power passenger seat but I can't find that caddy trim for the switches anywhere.. I think that's the hardest part! Anyone have one? :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just checked e bay...theres a 84 cadillac cimmiron ...i just checked for reference to see if they would have pics of the interior, and they do. the seat trim is identical...cool...so i guess im gonna check all junk yards around ym area to see if there are any cadillac cimmirons..it would be a pretty sweet upgrade if i can do it.

also having the power seats work...im guessing ud needa tap into the wire that powers the driver seat? would it work like that?

also would the whole track off the cimmiron bolt up to the Gn seat? maybe i can just swap the entire thing if i get one.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Did Kirban have anything like that ???? I have a power seat set up I got from them years and years ago .. guess now I have to go find it to see :rolleyes:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jesus woosh....thanks for the write up ....but wow what a huge task of rare parts to get this right! dammit why cant things be easy, haha.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Grumpy said:
Did Kirban have anything like that ???? I have a power seat set up I got from them years and years ago .. guess now I have to go find it to see :rolleyes:
the answer is yes. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i guess they dont have it anymore, just checked the website and couldnt find anything.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Kirban did sell a set up. Long time ago when that caddy passenger trim piece was around. I actually found the GM part number of that pass. trim piece a few years ago when I was hot on the project and the part is long gone from the general. Just check some yards. If you find 2 send me one :)

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Recently tried to install mine on driver's side (purch off E-Screw)--but included side plastic trim did/would not fit this frame. :dunno: Guess I just got it in the anal port again from "fellow E-XXXXXer". :mad:

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
ok off to find the original box from Kirban :eek!: :yup:

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
hey I found the box !!! See I said I was cleaning out and can almost find things now ... wasn't a pass side though :( ... guess Ill throw it with the rest of the power ones here :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Good now go find that braket I've been looking for you were going to look for for me! :D :sw:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
I'm doing this on my 86 GN. That link to the Olds site has to much crap on it so dont even use it as a reference. Here is how I am doing it. All I have left to do is wire up the power supply and bolt the seat in. First off there are two styles of power seats. On the 86 and older GM's they use one motor and one transmission. They are easy to ID as the transmission has a plastic housing. This is style that is shown on the Olds site.The 87 and newers use 3 seperate motors. Dont even think about using the 86 and older parts. After 20 years the plastic is cracked and they are prone to failure on top of that. I'm using the 3 motor style. I've got it easier than the rest of you guys because I've been accumulating these parts over the last 10 years. Now for the good news. The only G-body that had a passenger side power seat with the good 3 motor adjuster was the 87 and 88 Cutlass. The plus side is they also made 4 door sedans in 87. Now the easy part for me was that I'm down in the land of old people and their prefered mode of transportation is the RWD American car. Which means I've stumbled upon a few 87 Cutlass's with this option. I also need to point out that you can use the seat tracks from a split bench on a bucket and vice a versus. All that is left is to find the switch mounting hardware. The Cadillac Cimarron is the easiest car to get these parts off of. They were also used on some 3rd generation F-bodys although finding one molded in the correct color of gray is almost impossible. Just mount the parts exactly the way they were on the donor cars.Use the switch from the Cutlass as some of the Cimarron switches have the wrong pin out. I want mine to look like it came from the factory so I'm wiring it up with the correct power wire from the Cutlass donor car which also means that you have to run the wires up the passenger side rocker panel and all the way across the dash to the accessory power supply junction block on the left side of the dash area on the firewall. You could also take the easy way out and splice the donor car wires into the drivers power seat wiring. I'm not a big fan of splicing wires that use a lot amps like the power seats so the is my number one reason for doing it the correct way. Make sure you remember to ground your wire. As long as you have buckets or the split bench than you have all of the studs welded to the floor pan. All that is left is to bolt in the seat and plug it in. I've experimented with seat tracks from other models and you can use those the only difference is the height at which the seat rides. The G-body parts are the lowest ones and let the seat ride about 3/8" lower than, say one from a Park Ave. You can NOT use the seat adjuster from the Cimarron as the floor mounting pads are different. This is really a simple thing to do if you can find a Cutlass with the power seat, and of course a Cimarron. Now I have noticed some of the 86-88 vintage Sevilles and ElDorados with the bucket seats have different styles of switch panels that look like they bolt on to the side of a TR bucket so that might be another option to pursue. I have not tried this so you're on own with this one. I've probally forgotten a detail or two but most of you guys are pretty smart and can figure it out on your own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts