Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about so many people making a big deal about getting metal gears with new timing chain sets and it's leading me to believe I have a plastic timing gear like some pathetic Ford (gasp!). Is this true?

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
I have heard the same thing.(timing gears shedding teeth)Makes me wonder too.As far as Fords go,my Mustang and LSC both have double rollers from the factory.So-- :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just changed the timing chain in mine. the teeth were all eaten off. i just got the car at 150,000 miles, and i'm sure it's the original.

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Steve Wood, you're good. Do you have your own shop? You really know your $#!t man. Thanks for all the advice on behalf of everyone I'm sure.

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Changed mine at 100K, had two small crack in the gear not a big deal but you never know until you check it.

DO NOT USE A DOUBLE ROLLER!!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My first problem with the plastic gear teeth was on a 1970 Pontiac. It quit running, when the tow truck got there, the driver asked "How many miles?" I told him 50,000. "Timing chain" he said. He was right. SO.. this is NOT a FORD problem, it is more famously a GM problem. And has been for more than 30 years. I changed mine out not long after I got my Regal, with just over 100,000 miles. The original didn't look bad, but you never know..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is there a multi keyway Stock type replacement?
I've currently got a double roller sitting waiting to be installed in my new short block...I was avoiding the normal route because I want the cam degreed when installed. Need the multi key way (or off set keys) to do it?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why shouldnt you use a double roller timing chain?

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
GNonice:
Why shouldnt you use a double roller timing chain?
In 3 cars including mine we used Rollmasters, all they did in all 3 cars was cause a bunch of false knock. 1 of the cars replaced it back to a stock plastic timing gear and all the false knock went away.

My motor was torn down for a rebuild and the other car was sold but 99% positive all that false knock the 3 of us where chasing is because of that double roller. The knock wasnt there before we all put that chain in and showed up right after.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You should not use one because a) they often stretch excessively within a very short time, b)the slapping against the cover causes false knock as Mike states, c)they often eat the stock tensioner up very quickly leaving the small debris behind to go thru the oiling system.

Normally, a double roller is used a) because heavy valve springs make the cam difficult to turn and the resulting effort strains the chain, b)we always see them used on high rpm chevies built up in the magazines. :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
197 Posts
So just a single from Kirbins would be fine? I'm going through my engine right now, put the heaver valve springs in, and a 200/200 cam.

·
Fast with class Datsun?
160 Posts
Crap, I just bought a double roller from Postons. I was told to buy one because they are better than the single, even Postons said to get the double roller. He said the the double roller doesn't use the stock tensioner, so Steve your comment confuses me.

!M!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
GNonice:
So just a single from Kirbins would be fine? I'm going through my engine right now, put the heaver valve springs in, and a 200/200 cam.
Hope those valve springs are not too heavy with all the flat tappet cam problems...If it is a club cam, I would think they should be okay and the club cam is supposed to have more taper to prevent problems; be sure you break it in properly. A single roller from the parts house is fine, and relatively cheap. They come with a iron cam gear rather than the nylon coating.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts