Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new here. I just aquired a '79 Vega wagon equiped with a '78 231 (best as I can tell on year). It's n/a for the moment. Not sure which way i want to go, but the goal is a 300-400hp daily driver. Any pointers would be appreciated.

·
Just another kinky six
1,587 Posts
Welcome aboard. Get the casting number off the heads and go to GN/Ttype.org to fidn out which ones you have. I believe the head casting numbers are listed in the "history of the Buick V6" database. As far as your car are you wanting to turbo it or????

You may also want to check out Hbody.org as well for help with the issues that the H body chasis has. There's lots of info on them over there as far as going to bigger front brakes and suspension changes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on the heads. Ive read most of the tech tips on the hbody site and have hashed out most of the chassis on paper upgrading to a rear disc setup out of a Seville along w/ fronts but i'll need spindles from an 80s regal and make up a caliper relocate bracket as the Cadillac used 11.8" rotors.

·
Just another kinky six
1,587 Posts
There are much easier brake upgrades than where you're going. The 98-02 blazer 4 door has an 11" rotor and a dual piston caliper that bolts on exactly like the G body spindle. Easy to find and not near the headaches with converting the Regal calipers. It will also let you use a 15" wheel.

You might also look into using the 4th gen camaro rear disc brake set up which is much better than the caddy brake system. You may need to change a few things but it's all in the junk yards and you shouldn't need to hunt near as much to find the parts.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the cadi's a querky setup but I had rebuilt the car as a teen w/ my dad and then it sat for years and the body rotted around all the brand new drive train so I have all of the suspension w/ posi just sitting there. I'm a young family guy so tight purse. Strings. But the axle fits right in by swapping mounts and the caliper brackets are an easy fab I've done on a previouse project. But as far as the motor I'm not sure how to make it breath better. I'm not fond of transplanting f/i harnesses so I'd prefer to keep it on a carb setup but to keep cost lower I know it will have to be force inducted. Someone had told me though its a fuel injection swap that the top end from a late 3800 (1999) supercharged would fit the block but I'm skeptical on that.

·
Just another kinky six
1,587 Posts
I understand the cadi's a querky setup but I had rebuilt the car as a teen w/ my dad and then it sat for years and the body rotted around all the brand new drive train so I have all of the suspension w/ posi just sitting there. I'm a young family guy so tight purse. Strings. But the axle fits right in by swapping mounts and the caliper brackets are an easy fab I've done on a previouse project.
Depending on which caddy chasis it is will determine how much of it you can use. The posi may be for an 8.5" differential and the Vega may be either a 6.5" or a 7.5". Same issue may be with the spindles. Is the caddy a B, A or G body chasis?

As far as the motor I'm not sure how to make it breath better. I'm not fond of transplanting f/i harnesses so I'd prefer to keep it on a carb setup but to keep cost lower I know it will have to be force inducted. Someone had told me though its a fuel injection swap that the top end from a late 3800 (1999) supercharged would fit the block but I'm skeptical on that.
The heads for the 3800 Seires II engine will bolt on but from there you will have to make everything from scratch. The original Buick V6 RWD blocks are off center design and the Series II blocks are all on center. What that means is that the bores have been shifted to center the bores better on the crank journals to reduce side load on the rods.

What you might consider is the earlier turbo system that came on the 78-83 cars. No fuel injection involved. It's a draw through carb system and it can be a bit of a pain to figure out but the parts are cheaper. Take a look in the B4black section on the board and do a little reading about the systems. Just recently a B4black Regal did 11.87 in the quarter with the modified turbo that I came up with and with a little aid of the racing calulator it's estimated at 450 HP. The nice thing about the turbo is you can change the boost level to change the overall output. A well built NA V6 can make 250 HP and by adding just 10 psi of boost you will get roughly 350 out of it. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Seville was based on the nova (loosely) as an x body but I'm using the whole housing and it is an 8.5.

As far as turbo what kind of 4bbl would i be looking for? The only blow through after market I've found so far was a 750 cfm and was almost a grand new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You will be light years ahead if you convert to a cheap hot air FI set up.
That and an old skool DFI for $200, convert to E85 and you have 400hp.
:cheers:

I *think the late 8445 heads will bolt on your block but I would start with a post '83 short block..

·
Just another kinky six
1,587 Posts
The axle won't work on an H body because it has leaf springs. If it has 4 link then you might be able to make it work.

The carb you're looking at may be a blow through or a draw through system. A normal Holley or a specific Q-jet is for the draw through cars but the Holley is the only one you can use on a blow through system.

Please go to the before black section, Hot air section, and the general section so you can get an idea of all of the systems that came on the Buick Turbo cars.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts