Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a complete rear end for my gn and was curious to know about running a spool.
I never ran one before and drive the car rarely on the street.
Can i expect better 60 foot times with a spool?
(1.54s stock posi rear end)
Also how much is the weight difference?
Any info would be great,thanks!
powersix

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Whats up man? I don't think anyone is brave enough (or maybe just stupid enough) to run a spool on the street. But if you need a spool, you got some power to tame, think about upgrading to an old school 12 bolt. South Side Machine sells a kit that bolts one right up into the g-body frame, it's # 1328. The instructions are at: http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppatter/ssm_instructions.html

If you want to put a 9" in (God forbid), there's a good overview of mounting it in a g-body compared to the GM 7.5" and 8.5" 10 bolt rearends and the 12 bolt as well. It's at: http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppatter/tech_rearend_swaps.html

There's a website with the drum to drum widths for a lot of GM axles, I think it's on an f-body site, but I'm not sure which one. Good luck, and try not to turn!

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
In one of my cars we have a spool in a F*rd 9" and we found our 60' times dropped noticeably. I guess it was due to the fact that our posi unit was in need of a rebuild. The car launches straight as an arrow (many 1.50 short times) but we do NOT drive the car on the street except to load and unload the car from the trailer.

Works well on the track but don't even think about driving on the street if it MIGHT rain. eek!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow only 1 person runs a spool in there buick!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Moser spool in my car. My car sees very limited street use, but in my opinion its not that bad. My car did improve slightly on the 60ft. Weight difference wise i dont know if there is much. My spool appeared to be made of billet steel, so was heavy also like a stock posi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I run a Duco lightweight spool in my car and it sees limited street use. Maybe take it out to a cruise-in or drive to the track. Only downside I see is moving the car when the engine's apart. It's almost impossible to push the car if needed. PS Don't get caught out in the rain...STP

<small>[ June 25, 2003, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Maytag ]</small>

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys! headbang

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
(Bringing this one back from the dead...)

I'm thinking of re-doing the rear in my Buick now that I've got the TH400 with transbrake built. At about only 100 miles a month and only in good weather, my car now sees very limited street use. My primary focus now is on-track reliability and performance. Just like the trans, I want a rear end that'll last a while... although I do NOT want to swap to a 9" or 12 bolt.

My experience with spools:
There are two track only cars in our garage right now with spools. I haven't driven them on the street, but I have driven them in and out of the garage, done 3-point turns with them, taken them down the lane the house is on, etc. I see no serious issues with either one. Pushing them (engine off) is another story though. One (F-body with 9" slick) is almost impossible unless it is in a perfectly straight line. The other (31x13.50" backhalved T-Type) is not a problem for me to push around the driveway/garages by myself.

I don't think going this route is a crazy idea. Does anyone else agree??

What I'm looking at:
Moser and Strange both sell a kit with spool, c-clip eliminators, and axles for about $600. They both also offer a "lightweight spool" option that I'd seriously consider unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

Your thoughts???

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have run a spool on the street for many years(although not in a TR)and like them alot. They are very predictable - unlike Detroits. Do I get tire squeal? YES. Does the front end push a bit? YES. For a drag car - can't imagine anything else - launch straight and go.

Caveat - you need a strong axle to handle it though - I doubt the 10 bolt is going to be happy with that thrown at it. The 10 bolt isn't up to the task IMHO.

Dana 60's all the way! (I have a spare 35 spline D60 full spool if you need it) :D But it is a 4 series spool though..............

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
i put a spool in every car that see's a good bit of track time. posi's at the track are aggravating if you run slicks. i have driven cars with spools on the street for years with no problems! :cheers: i ran a spool in a 67 nova with the 8.2 10 bolt for years, 1.43 60fts in a 3200# car. broke one axle because of poor track prep!

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
ive been putting some street miles on my 86 (moser spool) and on true street tires (cooper cobras) its unoticable driving around and only a tad bit harder to pull into tight parking spaces .
with stickies like MT radials or slick its not fun at all and car will be jerking during tight turns and parking but then again those tires arent to good on damp roads either and driving a stickie with a spool will wear them out real quick

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I think that's all I needed to hear.

Regarding size, I'm looking at the 33 spline axles.

Any thoughts/comments on the light weight spools both manufacturers advertise?

Thanks,
-Banning.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
my car didnt need more lightening for tsm (it comes in at just over 3400 with 1/2 tank and me )

moser offers gun drilled ($100.00pr )and star cut flanges ($50pr) or drilled for 30 a pair on their 33.35 and 40 spline axles

cost a little more but should shed a lot of weight from those hefty 33 splines if lightest wieght is what you are after

i have the moser catalog and they show the 8.5 33 steel spool @ 9.5 lbs
i dont see a spool in alum offered for the 8.5 10bolt

·
Certified gun nut
1,842 Posts
I've run spools on the street for years and never had a problem.

The only time it sux to have a spool is when you 'gotta push the car and make a turn... that's when you wish you had an open rear. :D

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Thanks again for the input.

I'm not looking to run TSM, just make the car as light and fast as possible.

What's involved in gun drilling the axles? Didn't see any info on any of the manufacturer's sites.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
gun drilling is as it implies they drll the axle down the length through the center like a gun barrel
the strength is in the diameter so drilling it doesnt affect its strength just its weight

·
Certified gun nut
1,842 Posts
J Banning said:
Thanks again for the input.

I'm not looking to run TSM, just make the car as light and fast as possible.

What's involved in gun drilling the axles? Didn't see any info on any of the manufacturer's sites.
Makes them lighter and stronger.
Check the Mark Williams website or Strange... I know they offer gun drilled axles...
Might be a little overkill and un-needed expense in anything slower than a 9.50 or so... I had them in my red Camaro. You can definitely feel a difference in the weight.

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
An idea for moving the car with a spool:

Just get two/four of those car dollys, we got them for my dad's camaro and they are a lifesaver. They roll super easy until you want to change directions drastically, and even then it just takes a little shove.

Joe

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Well, I placed my order with Cotton's Performance for the 33 spline Mosers, c-clip eliminators, and spool. I also am having them gun drilled and the flanges star cut. A Moser tech rep told me that these two tecniques were worth a weight savings of 9 POUNDS! For the minimal increase in cost I figured it would be worth it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts