Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a ATR SS HP116D exhaust installed recently. If you have this exhaust or know know someone who does, can you tell me how quiet or loud it is? I know it is a relative thing but maybe I am expecting too much. I expected the drone to be gone. But I still can't have a conversation in the GN cruising at 2000 RPM. I'm also running a THDP with a TE44. Thanks, Bill

[This message has been edited by Turbo Bill (edited February 07, 2001).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bill, i'm running the ATR HP113 crossflow exhaust on my 87 t. I also have the TH 3" DP and my exhaust tones are very tolerible at any speeds, even wide open throttle. Of course I kinda like the rumbles it makes. Like you said, it's just a matter of opinion though.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I run the 2.5" SS with their mufflers and it is noticeable but not loud in my opinion.

------------------

Jim Anson, 87 GN with: TA-49; 50# injectors; 62mm Hemco; 3" DP; Walbro 340; CAS V-4; and SMC alcohol system. Best run of [email protected] with JL 110 chip, 110 octane and 23# boost.

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the 112 3" dual with no mufflers, and is very quite at 2000 rpm. It is loud at cold idle, and at WOT. I am still running a stock DP, but have a 3" waiting to go in after I get a baseline run at the track.

------------------
1986 Grand National ???
1985 T-Type [email protected]
1996 Impala SS [email protected]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run the ATR 2-1/2" stainless with a BGC 3" and 3" cat... It's definitely louder than my old Kenne Bell dual system with Ultra Flows. I'm not crazy about it and I think (?) the KB is cheaper. If I could change back I would.

Mike [:)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The "old" exhaust was ala Monte Carlo style with the Dynomax SuperTurbo mufflers. I went with the ATR 2 1/2" SS with SS Ultraflows. I use a THDP.

The old exhaust was noticeably quieter except for the dreaded 2000 rpm drone which drove me crazy. The ATR is much louder at all rpm's -period. Difference, to my ears anyway, is no discernable drone at a particular rpm.

Too late now, it's on the car and it cost too much to remove.

------------------
MJ

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ATR system seems to be quieter all around with the exception of the dreaded drone. I laid down the big bucks to get rid of the drone. I think the drone is pretty much the same between the Hooker and ATR system. I have been talking to ATR and they asked if the system is hitting anywhere. Yes and no. The THDP is hitting the frame. So this weekend I will fix the location of the THDP. I needed to do that anyway. So at least when I call back ATR and can say NO the system is not hitting. I guess we all have our own definition of quiet. I don't want it so sound like a minivan but I also don't want it to sound like a Peterbilt on my ass yanking on the Jake Brake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts