Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This noise started out a month ago and was barely noticeable. Getting louder and sounds like something tearing up. Put car on stands and removed the flywheel cover, everything seems tight and normal. With car at idle, and in park, driveshaft not turning, so not the U-joint. Starter make no noise. Close as I can hear, noise seems to be coming from cat converter mostly or could be rear of transmission. If in park however, what would be turning?
Is it possible the cat has come apart?
Help please! :dunno:

Walt

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
old cats do at times.

get, or make, a stethoscope so you can pin point it better...

Or take the cat off and look at it. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, will give it a try. I bought a complete Turbo exhaust system from Postons less than 3 years ago.

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
Check the cat heat shield also. Could be loose.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any

Other than emissions, is there a functional need to run a cat converter on the GN"S? I usually put no more than 4 K miles a year which excludes the test.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,851 Posts
You'll find a lot of people dont use cats except for test time with no ill effects. I havent used one or over 10 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i am the same way. i take mine off except to pass emissions, then take it off and run it till it has to pass emissions again. havent havd any problems in the 3 years ive been doing it.

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
dont suppose you have flowmasters? i know they are a no no on our cars but some are running them, the tack welds inside will come loose and raise all sorts of h#ll!!! a friend of mine has a muffler shop and says that some dynomax will make noise also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts