Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to do some wrenching to my car in the near future, mainly doing the front end rebuild and other misc "fix up" tasks. Looking for anyone quasi near me that would want to come over and help wrench or if anything provide moral support.

I dont have any solid dates yet but most likely may be put off until March or if anything late Feb. I'd like to get this crap done by the Kirban open house.

Garage is heated.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
The problem I see is that your going to have to take off the lower control arms and have the bushings/ball joint pressed in. That could eat up the day so it might be a weekend project for you.

Stefan

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to replace the uppers and lowers and hopefully have the bushings already in them and ready to go by then. I figured this would be a weekend or few day project to hopefully clean things up under there.

I have other smaller projects too - kirban rear seat braces, new speakers, seal up the back window and replace rear package shelf, etc etc.

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have a good set of front upper and lower arms that can be rebuilt. They were in good shape other then beat bushings and ball joints. Let me know if your interested and I'll double check to see if I still have them.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a set already, but I need to figure out what to do with the lowers. Uppers are powder coated...should I get the lowers done too or just paint em?

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
If $ is not an issue powder coat them, otherwise media blast them prep and coat them with a few coats of POR-15 the satin black looks nice.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you think about satin black powder for the lowers? I'll have to bug Mr. C later.

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
I did gloss black on the wagon's chassis and satin on the GN I like the satin better. Its all preference both look nice. After its all together its difficult to tell anyway.

Satin

Gloss

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the Satin has more of a factory look; the uppers are gloss but I think have the lower stuff satin is cool too - me likey!

So once you get them powdercoated I'm assuming you have to put a pad on the jack to keep them from getting chipped, or do they hold up?

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
Yes if you want to protect it from chipping/marring you will need something. Cardboard, a rag, rubber pad. Anything will work if done right. My jack has a rubber pad on it do I dont even think about it. Jack stands are another story they sell plastic covers for them but I haven't invested in them yet.

You will also have to grind the powder out of the bushing mounts or they will never press in. I used a die grinder and a flapper emery cloth wheel. It doesn't take much just take the powder off and stop. Tape off around where you will be working and hold onto the grinder, harbor freight sells a rotary dial that you can use to vary the speed of a router for $10 its helpful if your grinder does not have speed control. If you are using air its a little easier to regulate or valve down to slow the tool down.

I agree with you on the finish, I went gloss with the wagon because I was not worried about a factory look.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I went with the G body uppers for the lowers I took them to the shop and had them press out the ball joint and the bushings out. Then went to my Powder Coaters and had them blast them down. Took it back to my auto parts shop and they pressed in the new bushings & ball joint. Took it home cleaned off the arms and sprayed them down with Eastwood Chassis Gloss Black. I did not do the powder coating cause did not trust the shop not to scratch the hell out of the lower arms while pressing in the new bushings. IMO if your replacing all the brake lines and hoses and bringing it back to original Satin is the way to go. Just looks nicer with those SS lines in place on the chassis. Gloss black looks nicer if your just looking for a quick cleanup.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shouldn't be a big deal then...I have a newer aluminum jack with a pad but also an older one without it.

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
Stephan brings up a good point. I installed my own ball joints and bushings at a friends shop. If joe shmo installs the parts they will likely beat up the finish. I took my time and protected them like crazy not to scratch them and I even needed to touch up the lowers around the ball joint.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That might suck for replacing the bushings in the uppers too. :mad: I have a contact that might be able to help me with the bushings, I'll have to check and see.

Starting to remember why I never got anywhere with this :rolleyes:

·
Back in Black!
223 Posts
I'm prolly closest to you and would show up for "moral support" and to learn since I'm not fully mechanically inclined. I work a lot of weekends so it's 50/50 depending on date.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If its a weekend I most likely can lend a hand. Keep me posted. I still feel like I "owe ya one" after the help with the turbo :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts