Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am wondering what the factory installed setup consisted of, I have a system that came with the car, fairly elaborate, but nonfunctional, and have no information to go with it. Anybody know if there were popular installs of aftermarket systems in these cars?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would recommend Best Buy.

------------------
1987 dark red turbo t, KenneBell Ram Air, 150,000 miles mostly stock.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I think the with the factory alarm, first you had to lock the doors with the power locks; then unlock and lock the driver's door with the key and the indicator would blink. This is what I heard, but I could be wrong. Any aftermarket alarm could be on your car. Pull off the pannel above the brake pedal, and fish out that alarm(that's where they normally are).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Factory alarm. Open the door, on the top right of the instrument panel will be a flashing SECURITY light. Lock the doors with the electric door lock and the SECURITY light will stay on. Close the door and the SECURITY light will go out. To test, roll the window down, hit the electric door lock and close the door, grasp the door lock knob and pull it up. Now open the door. The lights will flash and horn will honk. Also the ignition will be disabled. To disengage the alarm, unlock the door with your key. Hope this helps.....Carter

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
These factory alarms were pretty high tech for their time, but they are almost useless compared to what you can get today. I like Clifford alarms in my cars.

Good luck,

Paul Beal
[email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Paul- I bought a Clifford off U-bid for about $60. I thought I got a steal until I paid a stereo shop $180 to install it. Could have bought one at Best Buy with installation for much less.

Rick

------------------
1987 dark red turbo t, KenneBell Ram Air, 150,000 miles mostly stock.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like a clarion type of unit was installed back in '87. Am trying now to see if any info is available on it or replacement parts--if not will have to scrap it and look into something else. Seems clarion bought this company at some point and this unit is pre-clarion influence yet. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You don't have to worry about about taking out the factory alarm unit. I had a good alarm put in my 86T and it worked perfectly, even had my door locks and power trunk set up to my keytag. The factory alarm is decent but has no shock sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts