Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problems are coming from my crank sensor and interupter ring. has anybody had the problem of the car running fine for a while and then RPM's cycle up and down, car diesels and sputters and then stalls out. After a while it will cool and run again fine. I have a new crank sensor and from the manual it states that the tolerance should be .0027 from the interupter ring. Has anybody ever done this procedure and had good luck? Any help would be appreciated boys, thanks.
Brad

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
I broke one while driving. The next one, I used a couple of pieces of thin curved plastic (soda pop bottle) on each side of interrupter ring and tightend down with those in place in order to get and maintain the clearences. I saw this suggested by Ken Mosher I think(?) from reading the list archives.

I had always assumed the crank sensor either worked or it didn't, but what do I know.
Not sure what symptoms a flaky one would exhibit.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
seems binary to me..either go or no go.

the curved plastic from a liter bottle is about the right shape as Ken/Scott have pointed out in the past.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well boys, I learned today that the crank sensor is a very touchy little devil. The adjustment is approximately 0.022 each side of the interupter ring, can be set with feeler gauge. Also inerupter ring must be absolutely clean of all debris and crap. Any deviatiom from this and she will run like crap like mine has for a month. Nice to have finally found the cause of all my headaches.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Looks like you done taught us something! Glad you found a cheap solution!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was gonna say 20 not 22... but hey you can eyeball it...

as for it getting hot and dying, you sure its not the MAF, bad grounds, or something else?

Old dying nylon timing chains can break crank sensors too... just to let you know.
and some crank sensors only work intermittently.... ah, the fun of electonics...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts