Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know what a typical set up configuration would be.On my 67GS I used the PST kit with a quick ratio camaro steering box,and KYB shocks all the way around.My only complaint was the Polybushings would squeek.I'd like to have a good handling GN,not only a straight line runner.
Maybe we need a suspension forum?
So I don't plug up the tech area.
Thanks guy's:BILDO

------------------
87 GN 3"ATR DP 2.5 ATR duals,7th injector,rebuilt turbo(stock)rebuilt injectors(stock).30 JE Pistons,accufab regulator,ATR super pump Hot wired,stainless driver side exhaust manifold.SOME ASSEMBLY STILL REQUIRED

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
What are you looking for Bill? I road race my GN. I am not sure about your question though so here's a start:

I have 700# spring in the front and 125# in the rear. Bilstien shocks. As for bushings, Del-A-Lum and only Del-A-Lum for Globalwest. Get rid of those poly squeek a thanes

Anything else please ask and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

------------------
Greg Smith
SSCC #300
TCRA #308

www.hotrodbuick.com

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Racer X my car is going to see mostly street duty so I don't want a harsh ride,but I'm not to fond of the fluffy pillow ride either.
I was thinking of a good set of bushing's that won't bind,deflect,or squeek.
stiffer progressive rate springs all the way around and upgraded sway bars,possibly riding on 17" torquethrust2's.
Does anybody offer such a G body kit?

------------------
87 GN 3"ATR DP 2.5 ATR duals,7th injector,rebuilt turbo(stock)rebuilt injectors(stock).30 JE Pistons,accufab regulator,ATR super pump Hot wired,stainless driver side exhaust manifold.SOME ASSEMBLY STILL REQUIRED

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
Hotchkis has some goodies for the GN that corners. I got my stuff from www.globalwest.net and I highly recommend the Del-A-Lum bushings. If you want the street manners the progressive rate springs are the way to go. I have a moog spring rate chart that I will post when I find it that may help you out selecting springs.

Clickhere for the spring chart.

The 17" wheels will give you a rough ride. I personally have 16" wheels because I like the looks on the GN better and I can soften the ride a little through air pressure. On radial tires 1 pound of air is close to 10 pounds of spring rate.

Here is a video clip of my GN cornering. It is a big download and not for dial up.

Hope that helps...

[This message has been edited by Racer X (edited July 31, 2001).]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How rough is pretty rough?I'm willing to sacrifice some ride quality,just don't want a all out racer.I plan on putting tons of miles on this thing.

------------------

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
With the low profile on the 17" tires you will feel every nook and cranny in the road. Bear in mind this is a compliment to the shocks and springs. The real rough ride will come from the springs. For your use I would go with the 16" unless you are set on the 17"s. It is an issue of looks vs. comfort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drive my car on the street with Simmons 18" wheels. I also have Eibach lowering springs, some Hotchkiss stuff, Bilsteins, Baer brakes and the car rides a little rough but feels great!! Who wants a mushy ride anyway?

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
I put Moog springs all the way around with bilsteins, rides good, handels good on stock wheels with goodyear eagle GT II's

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
TA-49, 009's, Hooker cat back, and all the other usual stuff

·
Registered
9 Posts
RacerX, what springs do you think are the best(Moog)? I know alot of people or running Eibachs. Are they better or worse.

Thanks

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
I have gotten flack about this in the past, but....Eibachs are fine but I think you can just as good of a spring for less money. I am currently running Hotchkis springs. I like the Hotchkis springs.

Now here is something funny, when I was looking for springs I called around and asked "Who made your springs?" and Hotchkis and Global West both told me they didn't know who or where they were made.

So what's the point? Well I think there is probably 2-3 companies winding springs and they sell to the people we buy from.

If your going for just some good street manners there is nothing wrong with the Moogs or the Eibachs or Hotchkis or whomever. It would come down to price for me.

I could get really long winded about how I came to Hotchkis but that's for another post

I hope I answered your question

Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts