Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran the car today, could only manage an 8.33 @ 81 mph best. 8 gal of C12 mixed with about 3 gal of 92oct, 20psi seeing some knock once I got into 3rd.
Pulled the intercooler this evening, inside clean but outside pretty gummed up with bugs, etc. Think I will see the difference on my timeslip with the clean intercooler?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
probably not.....not much anyway.

what turbo and chip? :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock turbo, JC 100 Variable timing...has been recommended to me to try switching to VP Red, so think I'll give that a shot too today.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
What altitude are you running at?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had ta look that one up, couldn't remember offhand---1500 ft is what I came up with, give or take 50 ft.
After today's race, I am beginning to come to grips with the fact that the stock O2 sensor is absolutely useLESS as a tuning aid. I continue to have nagging knock problems, even with enough octane to kill a horse. Beginning to think it may actually be more of a temperature related problem, seem to always be pushing into the low 170s coolant-wise once I am up at the burnout box.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Not very high....get an EGT and tune with that and the knock sensor/timing retard.

Make sure the knock is real. Real knock intensifies with time instead of being momentary and going away.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is EGT going to react fast enough to tell me what I need to know in the 1/8th mile? I'm only short the probe as far as using that method goes.

Knock seems to be real, one run had me at 1.8 deg in second and went up to 7.1 in third, no fade.

Just looked again, after burnout my temp goes up to 179! Gonna haveta try a radiator flush or something, I did monitor it for about an hour on the drive home and @70 with the air on my coolant temp kept rising slowly, had ta turn air down...

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
digital egt reacts virtually instantly...plenty fast for the 1/8th

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ten-four, that's what I've got sittin' on the bench.
Also noticed today that the difference between 330' and 660' times comes in handy for making fuel pressure adjustments---course I'm probly the only one who didn't already know that....

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
Steve Wood:
digital egt reacts virtually instantly...plenty fast for the 1/8th
It's not the themometer you need to worry about, it the thermocouple's response time. I'm gonna try a 1/8" exposed tip and see how it compares to a fine wire probe.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UNGN, on your exhaust question: I have the Hooker system, and cat. removed. My 60ft was 1.78 on that run. I am running Tlink, the knock started in 2nd and increased in third--no decay though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts