Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a non turbo crank in my motor and it has taken my full weight 3750# GN to 11.69 in the 1/4 and cutting out onthe top end(fueling issues I beleive).I want to know if any of you are using a NA crank and how fast have you been.I have met a few people who told me they have,one said he has run 11.30s on his.I want to dispel the myth that you have to buy a turbo crank for $300+ just to go fast reliably.My crank has lasted well over a year and alot of passes at the track too.

·
TTA#219
1,587 Posts
I believe JBanning is now in the 10's with a na crank..And has tons of passes on it...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I have guys on the other board telling me I am foolish to think a NA crank can take the power.I don't want to run TSM I just mean to hit high 10s.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Can you run an NA crank? Obviously, the answer is yes. Will it last as long as at turbo crank. The answer to that is a definite NO. But that leaves the question of "how long will it last?" Can't answer that one, but I do know that when/if it fails, it will be a very expensive failure. The turbo crank is "insurance". Whether you want to pay for insurance or not is up to you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't need insurance I have a TA block waiting to go in.I guess I have more money than sense?Expensive if it breaks...yep.Do I care?No.I am redoing the whole motor,trans and everything as soon as the LUV is up running.Ormand I am not looking for the holy grail here just a poll of other peoples experience with the same setup.If I hit the 10s more than once before I pull the motor out it will have earned my respect.

·
Dr. Nehi
1,011 Posts
J Banning has MANY passes, I'd bet at least 200,(including a 10-second pass) on his NA crank motor. I'm sure he'll chime in here.

-Scott

·
Dr. Nehi
1,011 Posts
J Banning has MANY passes, I'd bet at least 200,(including a 10-second pass) on his NA crank motor. I'm sure he'll chime in here.

I don't think I've seen a better bang for the buck TR than Banning's! headbang

-Scott

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Buicksx2, Richie Has a N/A in his Wifes T. Best pass was 11.4, With hundreds & I mean hundreds of passes on it.. I'm Sure He'll chime in too..

Jim

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
JRSGN:
Buicksx2, Richie Has a N/A in his Wifes T. Best pass was 11.4, With hundreds & I mean hundreds of passes on it.. I'm Sure He'll chime in too..

Jim
>>>> Yep what Jimmy says, I also replied on the other board too, havent (knock wood) had a problem yet big factor IMO is to obviously not detonate. Thats why the car is always filled with 116.

HTH

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Yep, I have a N/A crank in mine... along with N/A rods and .040 over hyper pistons. The car has gone a best of 10.79, and I've had several 11.0x and 11.1x runs with it lately as well. I have at least 200 runs on this motor.

What do I think the key is to having it live to long? I do NOT let the motor detonate. And for the most part (at least till recently) I don't rev the motor too high.

If I had the choice I'd take a turbo crank. However, I didn't... that's what was in the motor when I got it, and it has lived so far. It'll be too bad if the motor blows and send the crank south, but I have another 109 block with forged pistons AND a turbo crank that I can put together.

That's my $.02, hope it helps.
-Banning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts