Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to ask if any one can vouch that a strong stock 86 or 87 with these mods will run 12.50's - 12.60's consistently in the 1/4?
mods=
boost gauge ,160 thermostat,237 fuel pressure regulator,high flow in tank fuel pump(walbro340),mt slicks on 15x8's,108 strip chip ,stock turbo,converter tube or gutted converter and cut out,tranny cooler,turbo oil tube block off,adjustable waste gate,?if so,then all i need is the chip and adj. waste gatecold air kit and air bagsbut my car runs 15.5's -15.7's so,i'm asking if these mods are right on for 12.50 times?thanks

<small>[ June 21, 2003, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: jay ]</small>

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
In 1988 I was running those times with a K&N air filter, chip, dump pipe and M&H G-60 street tires. This was with stock fuel system (there wasn't much available back then).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Add an adjustable fuel pressure reg., big neck stock IC, ported stock wastegate elbow w/3" replacement DP, ported stock turbo and my GN ran 12.60s on real radials. MPH was 111.97, so with good tires, low 12s should have been a cinch!

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Your running mid 15s? Why is your car 1.5 seconds slower than a Bone Stock GN?
<edit> Mike's ? Key got stuck..</edit>

<small>[ June 22, 2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Orlando_87GN ]</small>

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why my car is a second slow? "It's very LAZy" lol.
I really don't know,i had a fellow member put his laptop on it at the track and the only problem that shows is low 110 blm's .it seems like it has a flat area from idle to 3000rpm(maybe flooding with fuel) then the boost comes on nicely or if i'm cruising and give it the gas it will wake up but,not at low rpm's .
i've changed the plugs to ac cr43ts (gapped 35,000) rechecked them twice (they are light brown color) ,checked the ohm resistance on the coils and wires ,no head gasket leak at all ,no manifold leak,oil is new and looks good ,160 thermostat,340 walbro hotwirekit,237 fuel pressure regulator,new vacuum lines,o2sensor,temp sensor,mat,gutted CAT,checked the turbo compressor wheel 3 times .
it just does not wake up from a start;kinda like if you had a carb car and the for barrel wasn't coming on.
i'm byuing a boost gauge,adj.wastegate,cold air kit,chip this week;and maybe new valve springs(they aren't making noise though).I am just wandering if not having a aftermarket chip and a cold air kit is the problem but,having to much fuel for the stock chip.?

<small>[ June 22, 2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: jay ]</small>

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I ran a [email protected] with basically the same mods, on 19psi of boost. I'm sure it could have ran faster but that was on my 10k car and I didn't want to push it. That time was also done in overdrive, so I probably could have ran maybe a 12.2 in drive. Good Luck1

·
Dr. Theopolis
783 Posts
What kind of torque converter do you have. When i bought my car form the original owner, she had the trans rebuilt. But really they just put in a standard 2004r from a Monte SS. It was a dog from the line.

Scott

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'LL check and see if it's a D5;i'll post the results in a few.I'll cross my fingers that it's the wrong converter but knowing my vooodd00o it's probably not .THANKS

<small>[ June 22, 2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: jay ]</small>

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You are way down on power from stock.
88MPH to 99MHP.
Check for clogged cat, header crack driver side, do the spring cleaning.
You are a little rich but within correction by the computer.
You need to find out why the power is down before throwing on parts.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
right now i'm at a 12.79 at 104 (yeah i know) with all the mods in my sig. thats on my street chip. and thats with weak valve springs.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well it has the d5 converter on it (5's all the way around)good try though.does the original transmission pan read METRIC hydromatic
div of gm?
my CATYLATIC CONVERTER IS GUTTED OUT COMPLETELY;I DO HAVE ONLY A 2" EXHAUST THOUGH MAYBE IT'S EVEN A 1 3/4 .I'M GOING TO TAKE MY SAWZAW AND CUT THE EXHAUST WHERE THE PIPE SPLITS OFF TO THE CHEAP AZZ MUFFULLARS ;I'LL DRIVE IT AND SEE WHAT IT FEELS LIKE,MAYBE A MUFFULAR IS CLOGGED.I'M GETTING NEW MUFFS THIS WEEK ANYWAY. :p
PS:is there a way to test my torque conveter to see if it is performing up to snuff :confused:

<small>[ June 22, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: jay ]</small>

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'M REALLY WANDERING IF MY PUTTING A WALBRO 340 FUEL PUMP AND HOT WIRE KIT AND A 237 (25% MORE FUEL)REGULATOR ON IT WITH OUT A CHIP AND COLD AIR KIT IS THE PROBLEM?sorry bout the caps :confused: it's still a good day to be owning a turbo buick though :p

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
forzfed:
I ran a [email protected] with basically the same mods, on 19psi of boost. I'm sure it could have ran faster but that was on my 10k car and I didn't want to push it. That time was also done in overdrive, so I probably could have ran maybe a 12.2 in drive. Good Luck1
did you have a stock fuel system at the time and/or a chip too ;maybe it's the higher flowing fuel system with out a chip that is giving me fits.Someone EMAILED me and said that my fuel system is too much for my stock injectors and they are probably dripping fuel ?
:confused: :confused:

<small>[ June 22, 2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: jay ]</small>

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I had a 190 lpm pump in it, with a Kenne Bell Hot Flash chip. As for the pump being too much, I wouldn't think so, but if the injectors are still original they maybe leaky and the pump could be aggrevating the problem.

One of our members in the GN club ran a 12.1 with a 340 and stock injectors as well as everything else. His car has about 120K miles on it. I was impressed by the times he got, it did take him a while to tune it though.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
fwiw, the monte ss also had a D5 converter. just didnt stall as high as ours do.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i need to figure out if my setup should run better with a thrasher chip or a eric chip or a 94 chip? i'll use sunoco 94 octane.also,has any any track and street data on the new siemens 57lb injectors that work with stock computer.i think i will just go ahead and get new injectors to since i'm going that way anyway. :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
forzfed:
I had a 190 lpm pump in it, with a Kenne Bell Hot Flash chip. As for the pump being too much, I wouldn't think so, but if the injectors are still original they maybe leaky and the pump could be aggrevating the problem.

One of our members in the GN club ran a 12.1 with a 340 and stock injectors as well as everything else. His car has about 120K miles on it. I was impressed by the times he got, it did take him a while to tune it though.
IS your club member friend available for me to talk to him ;i would love to pick his brain for a few minutes and ask him a few ??'s like what chip he ran and was the car alky injected or a strip chip with jet fuel etc .that is so awesome and respectable.
yup

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
He used a thrasher 108 chip on C-14. He did port the elbow of the swing valve assembly and gave his heads a home port job, so that probably helped him. He ran a 13 flat on pump gas with a 2.4s sixty foot time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I ran 12.26 @ 110.5 mainly relying on the Hot and Spicy recipe as a guide. My 60 foot time wasn't even all that great with a 1.800.

That recipe is a little dated. I read through again it the other day and we've come a long way in almost 10 years.

For a Chip I would highly recommend a Thrasher 108 with TCC lock up. If running the stock exhaust you need to dump it past the downpipe. Or upgrade to a hooker or similar exhaust.

I also have a GN that ran 16.X @ 88 mph the first time I took it to the track. It was even set up like my low twelve second T (when it was stock).

The problem for me was a massive pre turbo exhaust leak (warped turbine housing) that had gone undiagnosed.

Find the problems, fix the problems, run ATLEAST mid twelves.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts