Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am an auto engineer and a car guy through and through.

I have participated in the Chevelle Tech Forum and it's a great resource, as it looks like TurboBuicks.com is as well.

I have a 1971 Chevelle SS Convertible, 2002 Camaro SS Coupe, and am planning to drive a few hours in the next few days to look at a 1987 GN that is supposedly all original (newer tires and battery.) Owner sounds realistic and indicated there is some paint checking, etc., but it sounds pretty clean and straight.

It sounds like the car has been driven every summer (at least for the last 12 years) so it has not been pickled or in long term storage.

My questions for you:

1) How would you value the car, assuming the claim of originality is accurate? NADA classic car value guide shows a wide range that doesn't help much.

2) Any input on checking the engine/trans/rear end ID numbers? Where would I find them, and what should I check to ensure originality?

3) Anything specific you'd recommend checking besides the "usual"?

Thanks a lot!!!

Hopefully I'll soon have a GN to go along with the user forum!!

Scott M.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am an auto engineer and a car guy through and through.

I have participated in the Chevelle Tech Forum and it's a great resource, as it looks like TurboBuicks.com is as well.

I have a 1971 Chevelle SS Convertible, 2002 Camaro SS Coupe, and am planning to drive a few hours in the next few days to look at a 1987 GN that is supposedly all original (newer tires and battery.) Owner sounds realistic and indicated there is some paint checking, etc., but it sounds pretty clean and straight.

It sounds like the car has been driven every summer (at least for the last 12 years) so it has not been pickled or in long term storage.

My questions for you:

1) How would you value the car, assuming the claim of originality is accurate? NADA classic car value guide shows a wide range that doesn't help much.

2) Any input on checking the engine/trans/rear end ID numbers? Where would I find them, and what should I check to ensure originality?

3) Anything specific you'd recommend checking besides the "usual"?

Thanks a lot!!!

Hopefully I'll soon have a GN to go along with the user forum!!

Scott M.
Scott, welcome aboard.
As far as value goes, thats a tuffy to answer, as these cars can range from 10-25k depending on all the variables that come in to play.
I would start here The Turbo Regal Buyer's Guide
for the info your seeking.
These sites can be your best friend with a wealth of info......so read as much as you can, then read more. lol

·
Just another kinky six
1,587 Posts
While you're at it read the sticky at the top of this section. It will help you if you need to find someone local and a lot of them are willing to take a look at a car so you don't get ripped off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update:

I looked at the car - very nice and very original. 87GN, Hardtop, 32k miles....no dings, marginal paint quality (I said very original)....good options and the VIN/numbers all seemed to match up.

The feedback and buyers guide link were helpful so far...thanks again for that. Now it's just up to me to pull the trigger. Owner is looking for mid-high teens for the car - everything checks out well so I am not worried about losing money.

Will keep you posted....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts