Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Roger Hare
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I admit it, I'm a big-block GS guy. When I bracket raced my old Stage One 455 with the exhaust un-capped, it sounded like a 30 ton Mack truck locking up the brakes at 80 mph with a full load of live pigs. Of course that meant the sound (even through turbo mufflers) would intimidate "wannabes" during stoplight street racing.

That big black Stage One would beat most cars, but that was a long time ago and I'd almost forgotten the thrill of the kill.

Enter my new car: A black 87 turbo T with all chrome trim, bench seat, column shift. At only 3212 lbs, it's a screamer, but quiet compared to the old GS; Your classic "sleeper".

I re-discovered the old thrill when I started routinely handing out "justice" to numerous Japanese bottle-rockets in central NY (Finger Lakes region). My T just hums like an electric shaver on acid, so most don't pay much attention until the light turns green. Unlike the old 455, I can't just "mash it" upon green. I 've learned to "stage shallow", ease on...then punch it. Turbo lag has the added psychological benefit of briefly allowing Goobers to think they "have you", before reality sets in and they discover the beauty of Buick tail lights.

Last week I pulled next to a guy in an Audi that said "TT" on the back. He was busy talking on the cell phone and paid little heed to me. Guess he was used to rocketing off the line wherever he went, because the light turned green and he bolted; Still on the phone. Well, I passed him...just a little, untill the next light.

Now, his cell phone is down and he has the look of a spoiled Long Island kid intent on kicking butt. The light turns green and he scoots. Once again, I pass him, but not as bad as I could have.

This light is the last before two lanes merge to one. This signals wide-open country road rocket time. He's flailing his arms checking and re-checking his manual gear selection. He's also staring at me like he's saying "OK I'm paying full attention now and you're going down".

Course, he didn't know I was going easy on him to begin with.

The light turns green and he's gone. Those Audis are quick! With my 94 octane churning and the turbo gods coming to life, I start going side-ways a bit, but the car straightened and I shot by him at full burn "F.U.". This time he could do nothing and turned at the next road. Probably going home to beat his Wife and kick his dog.

Now that was fun. I found my right leg shaking and realized, I hadn't had a shot of adrenaline
like that since a bested a hemi-Cuda with my old Stage One back in the old days.

I'm hooked. These cars are every bit as muscle bound as the old kidney-masher 455s. The un-announced entry of this sleeper has many people learning that you mess with a turbo Buick at your own risk.

I've found the fountain of youth.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts

·
Boost Addict?
2,080 Posts
Sweet Kill! After reading that kill I can tell you're one of us...........A BOOST ADDICT! Welcome to the dark side brough. :D :cheers: :D :headbang: :cheers:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Loved it! I too have seen the power of the almighty hair dryer- see sig below as I still have to have my BBB fix too. I bought an '86 GN new and always wanted a TR car. Sold the GN in '98 to get the old GS but missed the turbo car. Was a blessing to be able to get another and keep both. Rock on! :6:

·
Roger Hare
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No modifications. Just a stock LC2 and only 3212 lbs of Buick. Don't plan on any changes at the moment.

It's an unusual T as it's black, but not a WE4. All chrome trim...everything down to the windows, handles and wheel wells. Everyone thinks it's a GN, but I've given up trying to explain to the uninformed. The original owner wanted chrome, but his order kept getting rejected and a WE4 suggested (a better deal since you got buckets, console, black paint, etc. for one price). A saavy saleman found a loop-hole: if you ordered paint code 19 (black), you couldn't get the WE4! It's a great sleeper, but only you guys would know what the heck it is. Most don't.

Evans Ward-I see you're running a Poston 112 cam.
Same one I once had in my 70 Stage One. That thing is a widow-rattler that loves to run wide open.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good kill.

The TT is a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder turbo. I think it is rated at 220HP. If it was a brand new one, it may have been a 2.0 liter turbo. Maybe a little more HP than the 1.8.

·
Neverlift Society
2,293 Posts
I know what you mean about the 455. But now that I've modded my GN, my GSX is now my "slow" car. :D

·
Roger Hare
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, a saturn yellow 70 GSX! I only get to see those in Bowling Green. Very rare. How does it feel to drive your own 401K?

I know what you mean about the 455 now being "slow". I remember the GSCA welcomed the turbo crowd when these cars were new. Of course some grumbled about them not fitting the definition of a true muscle-car. Rich Lasseter recalled the same spite encountered when he attended BCA events with his (then new) 1970 Stage 1. He effectively stopped the useless debate, bought a Grand National, and has proven himself a fortune Teller.

Since then, more have put their foot in both camps. Guess I'm now one of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts