Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car eats through alternators like crazy!, I went though 2 alternators in not even 6 months, and now this new one is starting to knock... You fellas have any suggestions as to remedy this problem? THX

------------------
'87 T .030 overbore/ big cam/ heads port/ polish/ all 3in. pipes (exh and int)inc. MAF/ j&e/ 42.5lb inj. +7th inj./ TE44/ Precision Frontmount/ houston DP/ intercooler scoop/ 11.5in M/T's/ @ 24psi best ET ??.?? @ ???.??

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Find a different rebuilder or your belt is to tight. Check tensioner and belt size.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Something sounds like it is out of alignment. Usually it's electronics that fail in them not mechanically. Could also be cheesball rebuilds without new bearings that could cause a mechanical failure.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it turns out my tensioner pulley was dangerously loose, called most stores in the area, my mechanic said he called most stores in the area, and no one had it in, is there a certain kind I need, or could I interchange from a different car? As I need this VERY soon. Also, would it be a good idea to change the belt at this time, and does a regular '87 Regal belt work?

------------------
'87 T .030 overbore/ big cam/ heads port/ polish/ all 3in. pipes (exh and int)inc. MAF/ j&e/ 42.5lb inj. +7th inj./ TE44/ Precision Frontmount/ houston DP/ intercooler scoop/ 11.5in M/T's/ @ 24psi best ET ??.?? @ ???.??

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
A new tensioner pulley is available aftermarket for $13. Doesn't look exactly stock but the thing works fine.

Make sure the bolt and mount is good. Don't want the new one to go fubar on ya.

Belt is also available in parts houses and I don't think it fits regular Regals.

I like the GM belt when I think of ordering them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you mean any parts store, or one specific like kirbans that sells them?

------------------

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I think you'll find that you can replace a bad bearing in the pulley with a new one.Just unscrew it,press out the old bearing,press in a new one,and reinstall,nice and tight.The bearing number is 6203,I believe[you'll see it when you pull the bearing].It's easy and relatively cheap.If you don't want to do the bearing,Dayco makes a replacement pulley.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
The bearing is common as da Kid said. If you have the tools and press just replace the bearing.

However I was in a hurry and just went and got the pulley with new bearing for $13 which didn't really help my squeak but is still on my car. Turned out to be the belt in my case.

Just ask any parts counter they will have it or can get it quick enough for you.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Don't buy ANYTHING from Dayco! They screwwed me good on my park avenue. I bought a supercharger and accessory belt for the car and in less than 1000miles the supercharger belt came apart and tore a huge hoel in my hoodliner.

After some arguing Advanced Auto replaced the belt, only to have it fail again. I replaced it with a Kelly Springfield and have had no problems. Come to find out the Kelly Springfield belt was a 1/2" longer. When I took the supercharger blet off I found that the main accessory belt had done the same.

Dayco had refused to replace the hoodliner on my car because I got the parts store to replace the belt. What a bunch of crroks! They refused to contact their vendor to confirm the situation or take any action involving compensation. Now that I've got two more of thier belts that have made like weedwhackers on my hoodliner, they are still refusing to compensate me, and now with no good reason.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Yeah my pulley is a Dayco and works ok.

I have given up on their belts however, they kinda suck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this: http://www.daycoproducts.com/products/autotensioner.htm sells for $13 and will fit?

------------------

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
No that is a complete tensioner.

Dayco sells a replacement pulley with a new bearing in it.

Not the whole mount just the pulley.

If your problem is the pulley itself the Dayco should fix it. I would check the bolt that holds the pulley to the mount for sure too. You don't get the bolt with the pulley for the $13. All you get is the round pulley with a bearing in it.

The whole tensioner assembly is available from GM at big $$$. That would be the mount and the pulley assembly.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, thanks alot, the problem is going to require the bolt, and maybe the whole assembly too, as it no longer keeps tension on the belt. My mechanic said the spring was sprung, so I think I may need the whole assembly. ;(

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Personally for a daily driver I would go to GM and pay the $200 or so for a brand new one and also a new bolt.

For a part time car I would email Brian Weavy and Mike McCoy and check out pricing on a good used one. Make sure you specifically tell them you need the bolts too!

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, thanks alot salvage! I'll give him a call in the morning, good thing you saw that because I dont visit the other board much.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Actually I figured you had it fixed already anyway. This might save a few bucks.

Don't forget to tell him you need the bolts or you prolly won't get them! Very important for you with your problem.

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts