Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an earlier posting, I read that "a 3.8 is a 3.8". Does that mean that I can get a normally asperated 3.8 and with all the proper equipment, turn it into an intercooled turbo? :confused:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve,
Yes, I was refering to the block. My next major project is to build an intercooled engine and drop it into my 84 TType. I am gathering all the information and tips that I can so I will have a good idea where to start. I hope that when finished it will be a kickass pure performance engine. Thanks againg for your help headbang .

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Hey, is the webbing and wall thickness the same on all 3.8 blocks around 86-87? I have heard that the N/A 3.8 block wasn't so strong around the bellhousing area and therefore can't handle the torque, but it's not like I heard that from a reputable source. I would also imagine the N/A block would have a fuel pump hole cast into it as well and I wonder if it has a provision for a knock sensor.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I believe the info you heard about the bellhousing area is a myth. The block in question should have the same casting number as the 'Turbo' block. The only difference as Steve said was the oil drain back hole is not drilled. 1/2" pipe thread is what's needed.

The provision for a mechanical fuel pump is in the front cover, not the block.

Hope that helps. powersix

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yes. As Mike said, they're identical other than not having the drain hole drilled. I have a (former) NA block in my GN, and I'm building one right now for a buddy as well.

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
I feel like the most ignorant bastard in the world because I have shunned some N/A 3.8 blocks in the yunkyards!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Don't feel bad, those blocks aren't all that hard to find... wink

·
Dr. Theopolis
783 Posts
Isnt it just the 86/87 blocks that have the 109 stamp the ones we want? I heard that they are in the 86/87 Grand Prix and Regals and a few other cars.

Scott

·
Turbo Buick Tweaker
1,125 Posts
hampton va ???

were you at ?

give me a ring so we can get together
(757) 570-4403

there are a few of us turbo buick guys around just spread out

I have a 87 setup in my 85 you can check out and I work on these cars too

Im on chestnut ave. for now but about to move to gloucester

RED

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Red,

I live near Buckroe Beach close to Nickerson Plaza. I just got an 84 TType and am having a great time restoring it. I am in the middle of a visit from my parents so this weekend is booked solid. I will give you a call within the next couple of days. My cell number is 871-8937. We definately need to get together.

Take Care
Jack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts