Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roller cam, roller lifters, and roller rockers...does it make a big power difference? Or does it just help with the high rev?

------------------
Tom Sullivan
'87 Grand National

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
typically, a roller cam does not offer more rpm. In fact, it may offer less.

What it does do is allow a much more aggressive lobe profile for a given duration so that one can gain more area under the lift curve without having to resort to ultra long durations that kill drivability.

the roller allows the lifter to follow a more "square" lobe but the weight of the roller hurts the over all rpm....therefore rollers often run a bit slower but have a broader power band...make sense?

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, TE45/ported heads/CAS front mount/MSD50's/TH dp/210 PTE Roller Cam/9-1 c.r./65mmTB-Hemco plenum/2 3/4" exhaust/Eibach springs/GNX style wheels/MAXEFFORT 16 pos chip with gas out feature/venturiless maf

87 T-type-Stock short block/ported heads/red stripes/TE44/2.5" Hooker exhaust/MAXEFFORT 16 position chip with gas out

81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
So a solid cam is better for certain applications.
Can roller lifter be used with a solid cam?

I don't know much about cams. Learning more is good...

------------------
Tom Sullivan
'87 Grand National

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
They make solid roller lifter cams. Typically they will make more horsepower but they are still heavy and they can be noisier which might cause problems with false detonation in a street car.

Stock blocks are probably becoming stressed by 6000 rpm and a girdle will provide some insurance but lots of people are reluctant to push much past 6000. Ron Joseph will show up shortly and tell you 5600 is pushing it. I don't know if there is empirical evidence to support his claim for that precise number but I know that an engine kept at 5600 or less will live much longer than one that runs more than 6000. Simple physics says that.

The beauty of a turbo engine is that one can make up for a small cam with boost and have a broad, flat torque curve without having to wind it way up to get good volumetric effiency.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, TE45/ported heads/CAS front mount/MSD50's/TH dp/210 PTE Roller Cam/9-1 c.r./65mmTB-Hemco plenum/2 3/4" exhaust/Eibach springs/GNX style wheels/MAXEFFORT 16 pos chip with gas out feature/venturiless maf

87 T-type-Stock short block/ported heads/red stripes/TE44/2.5" Hooker exhaust/MAXEFFORT 16 position chip with gas out

81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
Originally Ron Joseph will show up shortly and tell you 5600 is pushing it. I don't know if there is empirical evidence to support his claim for that precise number but I know that an engine kept at 5600 or less will live much longer than one that runs more than 6000. Simple physics says that.

Exactly my sentiments .....

It can't be explained better than that.
Add some unwanted, but common, detonation to the mix.

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified NJ Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok All good info.
But how about the improvements of all roller versus not?
Is it worth the expense?
Roller rockers and valve covers could set you back 500.00
Billet roller cam and lifters possibly 600 to 900.00
Is the extra 1000.00 going to produce bang for the buck.
My shortblock minus cam and Iron champions are waiting for my cam choice.

Adam

------------------

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good question Adam.
Also, does the less friction add to the longivity of the motor at all?

------------------
Tom Sullivan
'87 Grand National

1 - 8 of 8 Posts