Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air conditioning in my 87' GN is not blowing as cold as air as it did last year. Last year I had it recharged and it worked great. This year after getting it out of storage the air conditioner does not blow very cold air. My father said my air conditioning unit has a bad seal and a leak caused the Freon to leak out. He said to take it in and have it looked at. I do not want to have to pay for someone to do it so I am asking is there anyway I can do it myself to find out if it has a bad seal and a leak? I do not want to ruin the blower so I want to get it fixed before it gets hot. Plus we all want to brag about the car having air conditioning.

When I drive the car on the interstate I notice the steering column making a noise like two plastic pieces hitting together. I read somewhere before this is caused by two loose small bolts in the column. What do I have to do to fix this?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
By the time you buy the gauges and the R12 (which you can't buy unless your licenced) you could pay to have it done. Have a shop charge it up and run some die through it. Then you can use a black light and see where the leak is.

If your column is loose, you can disassemble and tighten the two bolts. Sometimes noise will travel from the rod that runs from the transmission to the column. You can see it under the hood.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Check the plastic collar at the top of the column directly behind the steering wheel. These are commonly loose and may be the cause of you noise. You have to pull the wheel and tighten down the two screws that are loose or have fallen out.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Check to see if the high pressure cut off switch (located on the hard A/C line right behind the compreesor) didn't break off and land between the header and steering arm. Sounds like a long shot but this has happened to me 4 times. Of course your A/C isn't going to blow at all (freon is gone) and it definitly puts a vibration (motor) into the steering column. Good luck and let us know what you find! powersix

·
BUICK LOVER
1,159 Posts
If you don't want to get ripped by some AC expert, do this. If you have a small leak and lost your freon, go buy an adapter nipple for 134A....$5 or $6. Get three cans of 134 and a hose to install it in the nipple you put on the drier. Put in the first can the compressor should engage. Then keep putting it in till it blows cold.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for posting a reply. The high pressure cut off switch is still there in one piece. My A/C has not been converted to the 134 and is still the R12. So I might have to take it in.

For the loose steering column I am having a hard time picturing the two bolts that I need to tighten. I do not have the tools to take off my steering wheel if that is required.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Remove the covers under the steering column, the two bolts are what holds the steering col. will be exposed! Also check the A/C Comp.mounting bolt (6 o'clock position) as it gets loose and vibration can be felt in the steering wheel. Don't just fill the A/C system without gauges and knowledge on just how to do this! Dye or a vacuum test are the correct way to check for leaks. Freon is bad stuff to get sprayed into your face and eyes! Gene

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, I did exactly what you said and the air is as cool as the other side of the pillow. The air turned cold almost immediately. Very easy and simple task. I did notice there is a slight rattle coming from the compressor. When I turn on the ac it is there but when I turn it off it goes away. Also when I am driving the car I noticed when I get off the gas there is a rattle too. I am not sure what this means but I hope I did not hurt anything. Is there anything I can do to get the noise to go away. I called my father and he said that is probably normal and that old of a car the compressor will probably make noise. I added 2 1/2 cans of 134 and don't think I should add anymore due to possibly hurting the compressor. What do you think?

Thanks again for helping with my issue,

·
BUICK LOVER
1,159 Posts
Glad you took the chance and fixed it yourself. I'm very happy I could help you. If you don't mess with stuff yourself, the experts will put you in the poorhouse. The rattling you hear is pretty much normal for our cars. Running the compressor just takes power and the make some noise. One thing you could do is throw in one of those small cans of oil that you install like the 134A. Certainly won't hurt. Also, make sure all your bolts and brackets involved with the compressor are tight. When and if you lose your cool in the car over time, just add another can of cool. :cool:

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
I was told that the "pancake"type compressors that these cars have are not very reliable.The a/c in my car is dead and I am getting ready to redo it.Has anyone else had to replace their compressors?I am converting to r134 though.Its cheaper to recharge. crazy

·
BUICK LOVER
1,159 Posts
I had to change out mine last year. It had 200,000 miles on it, if that says anything. I replaced it with a used one with at least 100,000 miles on it. They can be purchased new for about $200. I'd feel confident with that purchase. yup

AND DON'T FORGET TO WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO ME....... crazy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts