Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here would know if an open air cleaner with a PVC hookup would pass the NJ low emission test? or will I need a snorkal type with the thermac air thing?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
i passed with my grand national with a MAF tube and cone with open breathers and my girlfriends camaro passed with a 305 and just open filter on it with no thermal tube

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info ajt86.

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Buick Runner said:
I was wondering if anyone here would know if an open air cleaner with a PVC hookup would pass the NJ low emission test? or will I need a snorkal type with the thermac air thing?
TECHNICALLY: Our cars dont have a thermac, and since no emissions controls would have been removed by just having an open filter, there is no reason to worry. Now again TECHNICALLY if you removed the charcoal canister there would be problems. NON TECHNICALLY I doubt the people at Parsons would know to look for a RELOCATED canister, so I bet if you told them its under the fender, they may not look, just dont leave the lines under the hood plugged with shiny bolts to see real easily. You will need a cat (a shell or working, dont matter... if it fails emission or not is besides the point) It must be there to pass a visual. That is the most important thing they will look for emissions wise.

Oh, and no smoke. Another very important visual. You will fail immediately if it smokes

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
TurboJim said:
TECHNICALLY: Our cars dont have a thermac, and since no emissions controls would have been removed by just having an open filter, there is no reason to worry. Now again TECHNICALLY if you removed the charcoal canister there would be problems. NON TECHNICALLY I doubt the people at Parsons would know to look for a RELOCATED canister, so I bet if you told them its under the fender, they may not look, just dont leave the lines under the hood plugged with shiny bolts to see real easily. You will need a cat (a shell or working, dont matter... if it fails emission or not is besides the point) It must be there to pass a visual. That is the most important thing they will look for emissions wise.

Oh, and no smoke. Another very important visual. You will fail immediately if it smokes
hey jim i think he has a NA car he talking about

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I am talking about an N/A V6 car which has a open air cleaner and not an inclosed type with a snorkal and thermac air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts