Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone finding a MAF that works correctly? If so where can I find one, Thanks.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Translator, and late model MAF.
Or Tranlator GenII
or MAFTPRO, and forget the MAF.

·
Not a Selfproclaimed guru
420 Posts
I was able to get a good working AC Delco from NAPA the first time I went.A freind of mine picked one up a few weeks before me with success too, so I guess we are lucky.Some claim to have run into the low 10's with the stocker. :dunno: Got me driving the same day the old one went bad so I was happy.I plan on upgrading to the Maf T pro soon though,expensive but if you can swing it would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Buy "Standard Brand".

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hey Quick231, If you want to go with a stock maf sensor I have a rebuilt one that I took off of my car it only has 800 miles on it. It is an AC Delco rebuilt unit from www.kirbanperformance.com I paid $189.95 from Kirbans for it but if you want it you can have it for $50.00 shipped.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
william brophy said:
Buy "Standard Brand".
After 3 bad ignition modules in a row, I call them Standard Junk.
3 with no Bypass mode, is a joke, ie, there was NO spark until over 400 RPM. Which is just dandy in freezing weather.

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
I have put 4 aftermarket MAFs on my car and couldn't get one of them to read over 175 on the scanmaster. I put on a friends stock original maf and got 251 at WOT. so it's safe to say they are junk on our cars if you want any performance out of them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TurboJD...thanks for the help and kind offer. I have sent you a private message.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Doc1of7 said:
After 3 bad ignition modules in a row, I call them Standard Junk.
3 with no Bypass mode, is a joke, ie, there was NO spark until over 400 RPM. Which is just dandy in freezing weather.
Ignition modules and Mass Air Flow Sensors are two drifferent things, mine works just find, just as good as my original.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
william brophy said:
Ignition modules and Mass Air Flow Sensors are two drifferent things, mine works just find, just as good as my original.
Thanks for the update, but having any failures on new equipment demonstrates a total lack of quality control, and/or folks not even knowing how they're supposed to work.

BTW, did you check the calibration on a flow bench, or are you assuming that since the car runs *OK*, that it's correct?. Again, poor quality control can at times be just close enough to get by, rather then actually being correct.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Real World Test

Doc1of7 said:
Thanks for the update, but having any failures on new equipment demonstrates a total lack of quality control, and/or folks not even knowing how they're supposed to work.

BTW, did you check the calibration on a flow bench, or are you assuming that since the car runs *OK*, that it's correct?. Again, poor quality control can at times be just close enough to get by, rather then actually being correct.
My original MAF went 10.5 @ 130 mph with 23/24* boost on a 4* footbrake launch back in 2000; the standard brand feels just as good. I must admit that I have not had either one of them flowed but the readings on the scanmaster are close. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I may get blasted for this, but I have bought 2 remanufactured MAF's from Autozone (for 2 different cars), and they have both worked perfectly.

They are $44.95 plus a $25.00 core charge.

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
mark_123456 said:
I may get blasted for this, but I have bought 2 remanufactured MAF's from Autozone (for 2 different cars), and they have both worked perfectly.

They are $44.95 plus a $25.00 core charge.
You are 1 lucky dude....I'm going back tonight to get my 5th Autozone MAF. 90 day warranty on them is cool. Gives me plenty of time after I know they won't read over 175 to return it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry, don't mean to hijack but, is there a simple way to figure what gram reading you are supposed to see? I have an Advance Auto reman. It reads 5-7 grams at idle like it should. The car runs well with no driveability problems but I can only get @ 235 grams at w.o.t. This is with the below mods at 16 lbs. I may have minor knock which may pull a little timing but I have a crap O.T.C. scanner that only has a two function display and I have not been able to get it to record and playback.
If my w.o.t. readings were 170 then I would know that it was the MAF but it's close enough that I'm not sure. I would hate to turn in a good sensor to get a replacement that was worse. I would love to go translator and late model but the funds are tight so they'll have to wait as long as I have a warranty. :D

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Your 235 max reading seems just fine w/ your mods. I wouldn't poke, tap, bump, shake or otherwise disturb this one--consider yourself a lucky-dog! :yup:

You might pull 1# of boost out (back to 15) & see if "minor knock" persists,,,

corsair231 said:
Sorry, don't mean to hijack but, is there a simple way to figure what gram reading you are supposed to see? I have an Advance Auto reman. It reads 5-7 grams at idle like it should. The car runs well with no driveability problems but I can only get @ 235 grams at w.o.t. This is with the below mods at 16 lbs. I may have minor knock which may pull a little timing but I have a crap O.T.C. scanner that only has a two function display and I have not been able to get it to record and playback.
If my w.o.t. readings were 170 then I would know that it was the MAF but it's close enough that I'm not sure. I would hate to turn in a good sensor to get a replacement that was worse. I would love to go translator and late model but the funds are tight so they'll have to wait as long as I have a warranty. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts