Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the pulley fan hits on the PS box, I decided to switch to a single aftermarket electric fan. The kit includes a relay and a screw in engine temperature sensor to turn on the fan. I don't have anywhere to screw the sensor into the manifold or heads, and the sensor is set to come on at 155*, which is too low, IMO, for a 160* thermostat. I already removed all the stock fan wiring from my ECU harness. Now I want to re-install the low-speed fan wire from the D-2 pin and run the fan from the relay included with the kit. Can I just use the ECU fan wire to turn on the fan signal to the relay by replacing the wire from the screw in sensor with the wire fron D-2 and have the ECU control the fan?

Also, I might need some extra room for the fan. Anybody know what would work to cut the shaft of the waterr pump where it sticks out of the pulley?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
You can use D2 as a trigger for a relay to run the fan.

Not sure about the power steering shaft question. Maybe you are talking about the water pump pulley shaft that protrudes past the pulley. You could cut it flush with the pulley with a sawzaw. Probably have to get the water pump in the vise so it turns out nice.

Maybe a picture might help us understand what is going on. :usa:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Meant water pump. Typing faster than my brain would work :)

Edited the original post.

Dave

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cut the shaft OK

I used a Dremel tool with a re-inforced cut-off wheel and shortened the water pump shaft until it is flush with the pulley. Took about 10 minutes and I didn't even have to change the wheel! :headbang:

Thanks,
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts