Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody got a good recommendation for an after market shifter that would work well with a 200 4 R equipped with a StageRight Transbrake.

I`d want it to fit nicely into the consul with as little hacking and/or cutting as possible.

If anybody had pictures of their finished installation, that would be great.

Thanks for the help

George, in ALBERTA

`87 GN 11.82 @ 115 mph ... 3500 ft.

G

·
Although the supply of the Mallender trans. brake kits has apparently dryed up, they were supplied with a detent bracket assembly to replace the stock part. They work just fine and if you conservativly move the shifter forward from the TB lock position to the 2 to D positions, no damage should result from it's use. There only thing required is to gently push the lever from one position to the next.
However, the AZ guys run a B&M shifter unit which is as nice looking, resistant to breakage, and functional as it can get.

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified NJ Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I don't understand why so many people have problems with breaking the stock shifter. Are people trying to slam the shifter as if it helps performance? We are not powershifting a stick here, so what gives??

I haven't even installed my Mallenger shifter detent plate, as I don't even have a problem keeping the car in "D". I guess if you punched or slapped the shifter it could wind up in "OD", but it's never happened to me.

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
Registered
819 Posts
I am attaching an image of my B&M setup (have posted same picture before). However, I agree with Mike, you'd better not be slap- banging this shifter around either or you'll tear it up or break a cable. There is no need to abuse any shifter, just gently push it forward and it shifts as hard as it would if you bang on it.

------------------

G

·
Originally

I haven't even installed my Mallenger shifter detent plate, as I don't even have a problem keeping the car in "D". I guess if you punched or slapped the shifter it could wind up in "OD", but it's never happened to me.

[/B]
How about slamming the shifter forward and accidentally throwing the trans. into neutral, at WOT ?

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified NJ Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ah, Jack's just a big sissy.....seriously, if you are looking for a decent reaction time, there is a lot of mechanical "slop" in the trans brake most of us GN guys run....so either take that into account when judging lites, or move it as briskly as possible from low to second.....you do that with the stock shifter exactly one time....the B&M will take brisk movement.....although it seems to eat stock cables....we found out at the B&M booth at Firebird they make a HD "race" cable that is about twice as big as stock...got one, I'll let you know how it holds up

Woody
86GN ([email protected])
Scottsdale AZ

·
Registered
819 Posts
"Brisk Movement"...now that's a novel term for the abuse you've subjected your shifter to. Yes...Woody...it WAS you that I was referring to.

------------------

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Jack Evers:
I am attaching an image of my B&M setup (have posted same picture before). However, I agree with Mike, you'd better not be slap- banging this shifter around either or you'll tear it up or break a cable. There is no need to abuse any shifter, just gently push it forward and it shifts as hard as it would if you bang on it.

Very clean installation Jack. What model B&M shifter is it ?

The chrome trim ring .... is that the one that comes with the shifter ?

George, in ALBERTA

·
Registered
819 Posts
It's the universal model mega shifter. It comes with it's own console, which looks like a cheap plastic garbage can turned upside down and the chrome bezel you seen in the picture. Of course, you toss the "console" that comes with the shifter but you use the chrome bezel.

------------------

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for your help with this issue.

I must admit though, it`s easy to understand with logic, that one should just gently push the lever forward to release the TB ....

but ya know, when I`m staged beside a big block chevy or a 460 ci Mustang, I seem to forget logic ..

adrenylin seems to take over my whole body and I do things that I normally wouldn`t do ``logically`` .... like ``briskly`` slam the shifter forward on or about the second yellow. Ya know, nuetral at WOT is not good!

I admire anyone who can sit in the staging lights calm and collected ... it`s a very advanced technique that I`m not sure I`ll ever master.

Once again, thanks for the help.

George, in ALBERTA

`87 GN 11.82 @ 115 MPH 3500 ft. 17# boost

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
Originally posted by Orlando_87GN:
I don't understand why so many people have problems with breaking the stock shifter. Are people trying to slam the shifter as if it helps performance? We are not powershifting a stick here, so what gives??

>>FWIW I too have to echo both Orlando and Jack's thoughts on this. You don't have to slam the shifter into gear just a nice casual shift into the next gear and you'll be fine. I have been manually shifting my car for years and never had a problem.

Then again the more you go to the track and race your car you develop a feel for your own car you'll know what works best. But it only comes with practice and actual seat time.

Regards,
Rich from Rich's Auto in New Jersey
[email protected]
Website under construction

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a B&M hammer that I had Jack Cotton intsall. He used my stock center console and it retained the ability to lock the column. It looks stock and I'm very pleased with the setup. I have pictures that I can post if anyone would like to see them. Charlie did an awsome job.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am currently installing a Hurts Promatic 2. I have only had to cut 3 pieces of plastic from the console itself and remove the forward mounting tab off of the tunnel. I have placed the shifter and aligned it with the console in place and with the original top plate uncut and installed it looks great. Once I ge pics I will show it to you. With a little weather strip on the top plate you will barely be able to tell that it is an aftermarket shifter.

------------------
86 GN with mods
has only two speeds with wife driving, Idle and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not using a trans brake, but I was sick of gingerly selecting my gears with the flimsy OEM POS! I installed a B&M Quicksilver, without the plastic 'doghouse', rubber boot or groovy chrome top cover, which by the way fits the top of the stock shifter indicator grey bezel piece perfectly. To fit it under the console perfect, the console had to be relocated aft about 3/4" from original position. Someone out here, or the other board, posted a picture of their completed Quicksilver installation. Mine,like theirs, looks very neat and functions as good as it looks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
FWIW I run a Hurst ProMatic 2 with brake. I am shifting full manual and with a reverse valve body. Works great in my opinion. I had to do limited work to get this in the car. Ratchet shifters seem to be the way to go if you are going to be shifting manual.

Jason

------------------
1987 T Limited
9.80 @ 137
Stage 1 235 cid
Stock ECM and MAF

·
Registered
17 Posts
It seems that somebody should make a badass shifter to fit G-bodies with little or no modification required,because this topic is constant on MonteCarloSS.com Anybody listening?

·
JR still sucks!
5,004 Posts
Real nice shifter How hard is it to install....

------------------

Supercharged Pontiac Bonneville
81 Corvette
87 Turbo T WE4
TA49, CAS V4, SS THDP (Jersey Style), 009s, Red's 93 Chip, XP pump, MM Boost Commander, engine tie strap, adjustable FP regulator, hot wire kit, snubber,K&N cone filter, B&M Super Cooler, Hooker exhaust, KYBs, Air bags, Scanmaster II and Turbo Link, VDO gauges and Kirban braces.
Mobil 1 / Original owner /GSCA member.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts