Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What adjustments am I likely to need make after installing Dutt Neck IC? I'm not sure of likely parameter changes and/or performance improvements expected from this IC change alone. :dunno:

What are guru thoughts/ predictions?? :sw:

TIA

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
It should have a little more boost after you install it due to the drop in flow restriction.

Therefore, you may have to turn it down. As the charge will be a little cooler, and, thereby, denser..it may take a little more fuel to keep things in balance.

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These were my thoughts too. I was guessing a 1-2# increase in boost at manifold (from lower IC pressure drop) & therefore likely need turn boost DOWN a couple #'s to start.

I'm already +10% fuel @ WOT on TT chip to keep O2 in mid/upper-700's on my std o2 sensor set-up (I know==relatively meaningless crap!). I'll need pull FP gauge from under hood & tape on windshield again to insure adequate FP a WOT delivery.

Tks,,,

Steve Wood said:
It should have a little more boost after you install it due to the drop in flow restriction.

Therefore, you may have to turn it down. As the charge will be a little cooler, and, thereby, denser..it may take a little more fuel to keep things in balance.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Bob Dick's test showed 1.9# increase so you would be in the ball park.

Do you have an alky chip? Sounds lean to me. Personally, I like to see a little over 800 on the stock o2s.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cool Down

This spring I put in a use CAS V4 21 intercooler and learned the hard way
1 turn down your boost a lot to work it back up to safe levels as you get more flow thru the intercooler.
2 add more fuel as the charge is more dense (or cooler).
My motor is now out being rebuilt. My first trip with this intercooler was my last as my regular boost of 24# went to 29# and went real LEAN and I lost a head gasket during the resulting explosion.
BE CAREFUL. :sw:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
turbomonte2 said:
What adjustments am I likely to need make after installing Dutt Neck IC? I'm not sure of likely parameter changes and/or performance improvements expected from this IC change alone.
Turn the boost down to start with to make sure you're going to have enough fuel. You'll also want to watch for detonation as you start raising the boost.

Don't be surprised if you wind up needing new injectors. What sort of DC are you running now?.
Has detonation been a problem in the past for you?.

Alky might be a good alternative, also.

You might also consider getting a WB, to remove some of the guessing about where you're at AFR wise. The stocker, isn't a very good guage of being OK AFR wise.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
what was said above... turn down the boost...way down after switching to a thunder fab went up 6lbs and changing a bunch of other things I too found out the hard way...#1 change 1 thing at a time not 6...and when in doubt always turn down boost...you can always turn it back up

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
So Monte,
I assume its now in & working. PM with the details. :cheers:

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a Six?? said:
So Monte,
I assume its now in & working. PM with the details. :cheers:
NO--but it's involved in my new sad story (problem-of-the-month)!

Turned back boost several ##--to 14.5-- (in anticipation of Dutt neck install), taped FP gauge to windshield, did several Rte 9 runs thru 2nd & noticed black smoke out back. FP fine/steady at 57 psig max., no timing retard, O2 recorded 740 'ish.

Return home, return FP gauge to engine compartment, disconnect ECM (to reset default TTwk 93 chip (no alky chip Steve) fuel, timing--drove up to NC to pick up rewelded Dutt neck IC, gave it a 2nd gear run & no knock, minimal black smoke, & O2 recorded 762.

Picked up IC--installed in trunk on top of golf clubs, gave it one more 2nd gear run & O2 recorded 792, no KR & Ima feelin' good w/ new baseline info. As I approach home, I hear some kind of scraping/knocking sound--related to engine rpm. Get in driveway, idleing in park, in gear--noise comes/goes.

Started up last eve to go to cruise-in, scraping/knocking there on startup--but not too bad cruising @ 65 (probably just couldn't hear it with wind noise, & some SuperComp drone, & Van Halen). Got to cruise-in, knocking steady now as I back into my stall for the evening.

8:40 p.m. , knock persistent on start-up & mild acceleration & can now hear @ 60 mph cruise home (oh boy, I never thought my 22 mi ride home was so "far away"). Get-R-home in driveway 9:05 (whew), playing "Knock-Knock-Knockin on Every Rev".

Shut-er-down, went in house, straight to liquor cabinet & the rest of eve is history.

Sounds like coming from up front, like timing chain/tensioner hitting cover--if that's the type sound that "failure" would make.

Oh well, will start another ?? wadayathinkitis ?? thread later. Tks for your time and understanding--but I am now really pi$$ed --again!!

Looks like my new IC will give me 0-60 in a couple month's,,,

Monte :mad: :rant: :confused: :crazy: :dunno:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
That Bites Bigtime!! :rant:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
check your pulleys...ac compressor bolts, etc...

take the belt off and see if the noise is still there...or went away.

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve Wood said:
check your pulleys...ac compressor bolts, etc...

take the belt off and see if the noise is still there...or went away.
Eyup, will probably do tomorrow afternoon. Just last week was the new alternator & belt (had to do a 63.0"==1600mm, as exist. 1610 mm was too loose w/ slightly smaller pulley on new/rblt alt'r). Tks for reminder!

Monte

1 - 13 of 13 Posts