Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a power drivers seat in the GN but can't find the power wire under the carpet anywhere. My GN didn't come with a power seat, was the wire only included in a power seat optioned car? :rolleyes:

Hoping to get some feedback from someone that has done this before. Thanks. :usa:

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I have the power seat option on mine and the wire is there[obviously].
I would think you could plug into a fuse panel accessory socket[there should be a couple].

·
Not a Selfproclaimed guru
420 Posts
I have a slit in my carpet under the driver seat and a orange wire with a black connector is sticking out a bit.Do you have this wire too? I have no idea what it is for but assumed it is for a seat.Does anyone know the rpo code that should appear for the power seat?

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
I never had a wire there when the car didn't have a power seat in all the cars I pieced out .. I run a wire to the fuse panel :headbang:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm suprised cause mine has the connector and no power seat :( i assumed it was for the power seat option, hmmmm.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
onefastcar said:
I'm suprised cause mine has the connector and no power seat :( i assumed it was for the power seat option, hmmmm.

I prob got to the car and took out the power seat and put a reg track back in :dunno: :crazy:

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts
my 87 GN is a factory manual seat car and the connector is there in the slit of carpet under the seat
had the car since new

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well the car was in Kentucky and who nows where else i agree i want my seat back grumpy :crazy: .

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the power seat installed finally. Here is what I found:

The car I was installing a power seat into is an '87 GN. It's a solid roof car that didn't originally have a power seat. It had a slit in the carpet, but no power seat wire under the carpet.

Here is what is interesting. I have an '86 GN with T-tops that had the wire under the carpet and it did not originally come with a power seat. I thought this was especially odd since I heard T-top cars never came with a power seat because of headroom issues.

All is well now, the seat is in my '87 and I am using the wire from the '86. I had the seat beefed up with some extra padding while it was out and it's actually comfortable to sit in again. :cheers:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thats good news mine also is a ttop so i find that even more odd. :confused:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
I think option content had something to do with whether you got the wire or not. Plenty of 84-86 TR's with power seats and T-tops.87's were option constrained which makes thing even more confusing. I've always assumed the wire wasn't there on the manual cars so I never bothered looking for it those cars. I've been doing some research and so far have come to the conclusion that there were at least 4 different dash wiring harnesses just on the TR's, 87's in particular because of the Limiteds which is why I'm speculating on the option content.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
did all limited's come with power seats...what about base regals...cause I remeber hearing one of those "myths" that before buick extended the model year for the GN's they were in short supply and that buick sent some of the limited and base regal shells back thru assembly line to be retrofited to GN's again it could be one of those MYTH'S

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just wanted to add I've recently been researching the options on my 87 GN (that's why I new the rpo code for power seats) and mine does have the ttops and power seat option.

Footnote...Ive had my car since June of '89 And have learned more in the time I've been on this site than the time I've had the car! It's nice to learn more about the history and options available for the different years and styles of TR's. Hope to learn a lot more!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Orlando_87GN said:
I got the power seat installed finally. Here is what I found:

The car I was installing a power seat into is an '87 GN. It's a solid roof car that didn't originally have a power seat. It had a slit in the carpet, but no power seat wire under the carpet.

Here is what is interesting. I have an '86 GN with T-tops that had the wire under the carpet and it did not originally come with a power seat. I thought this was especially odd since I heard T-top cars never came with a power seat because of headroom issues.

All is well now, the seat is in my '87 and I am using the wire from the '86. I had the seat beefed up with some extra padding while it was out and it's actually comfortable to sit in again. :cheers:
Nice going.
Make use of available resources.
BTW,my 87 GN came with T Tops and a power driver's seat.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Orlando_87GN said:
I thought this was especially odd since I heard T-top cars never came with a power seat because of headroom issues.
Mike,

I think you are off slightly, I *think* that you weren't supposed to be able to get the power seat with the astroroof, but Shmed's car (in your tent in BG this year) actually has both.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts