Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm at 50K and getting ready to replace my stock turbo with a TE-44 (when it gets out of the body shop!). My actuator rod is pristene and I plan on using it with the new turbo. Considering CarolinaTurboT had to modify his new actuator(that came with new turbo), will using my old one cause any added fit problems?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
A stock actuator will not fit on a TE style turbo. Unless you want to connect it with only one bolt, which I wouldn't recommend.

Sell your actuator, and shop around on the parts for sale section for a TE style actuator. Only way to do it unless you make one yourself, which involves welds, drilling of new holes, and buying the bracket you will need.

Precision sells a brand new HD actuator for the TE style turbo, $90.

Hope that helps.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Orlando. Do I need an HD? Please elaborate.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
How much boost you planning on running?

My PTE51 came preassembled and installed with a stock 12 lb. spring when I bought it from Modern Musclecar now perhaps Ramchargers. No clocking no drilling just bolt it on the THDP I bought with it, they also knew how big to make the hole in the exhaust housing another factor to figure in when buying a turbo.

Worth talking to the vendor about all this stuff, me? I just got lucky

------------------
WE4, Daily Driver, PTE51, 43lb. Bosch, THDP race cat., Postons Headers, 21/2"SS Ultraflows and pipes, 16 pos. Maxeffort thumbwheel chip, Bilsteins, Airbags/snubber,snows, 307 adj.reg./ gauges,scamaster and D.S.,BSTC,small stuff too. V4 IS IN!!! Not legal for racing.
GN loaded, mostly stock, car #2. 112K miles. Accufab reg. 160stat.,Scanmaster.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I have used stock actuators on TE's with only one bolt several times. On the other hand, it is easy to modify the bracket to fit the TE bolt spacing if you feel uncomfortable with a single bolt. The actuator is pushed against the housing when it works so it cannot go anywhere. I would be reluctant to spend $90 bucks on something so simple.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The TE-44 is going on at the same time I install the 50s and JL 93 chip. Due to lack of hours in the day, I'll probably put the THDP and ATR 2.5" duals on shortly after (possibly the following weekend). At any rate, I plan to get as close to 20 lbs of boost as I can without knock on that combo.

When I get that ironed out, I'll break the SMC alky kit out of the plastic and see if I can get 22 or 23 lbs with the JL 100 chip.

Regardless, it's a weekender and will never see the track more than a few times in it's life (if it ever goes at all).

Sorry for the length, but I'm working in stages and I thought that may effect your answer.

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any disadvantages to the HD actuator (other than cost)?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
some of them have a spring in the range of 17# and may be a bit more boost than you can run on 93 octane.

Some will chime in and say they could lower theirs to 15# but some will not. Originally most were advertised at 17# but I don't know if there are a variety of springs out there or not.

Some claim they work better with the bigger pucks such as found in the TH dps. Sounds logical but I have never had a problem with a stock actuator on my TH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts