Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my AC doesn't blow nearly as cold as it used to and it takes forever for it to cool at all. I think I may need some refridgerant. Anybody got any ideas? Should I convert over to 134 or stay with the R12? Could there be something else that would cause the AC to perform poorly? TIA

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Originally posted by Nasty Wendy:
Could there be something else that would cause the AC to perform poorly? TIA
Yea" the Nasty little bitch behind the wheel dont know how to operate it!
You probley have a leak in the system somewhere & its just low?
A recovery machine will tell you how much is in the system. A leak detector or some R12 dye & a black light will tell you where the leak is.
A few other things....................
Heater control not closing all the way?
Oriface tube stopped up?
Bad compressor?
Accumulator stopped up?
Heater control on hot" & your not smert enough to know it!
You added freon & the comp wont stay on because its to full!
Thermister bad?
And the list goes on >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If it works at all and you have a can of R12 or R12 stop leak give it a shot.

If you really want to fix the problem I would diagnose the leak, fix it, then replace the accumulator and convert over to R134a.

I have a very slow leak over winter I just buy 3 cans in May, put 2 in last night
and it is good for the summer and fall in my car.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Threee years ago my a/c went down while I was on vacation. Not wishing to make the trip back home without it, I decided to take a chance. I installed 2 cans of the 134 lubricant, and a can and a half- 2 cans of 134 refrigerant. It worked fine, lasting the rest of that summer, and the next.Sold the Monte S.S. a few months ago, and it was still working, and working every bit as well as it had before.

Yes it is not supposed to work.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by fast86:
Yea" the Nasty little bitch behind the wheel dont know how to operate it!
I'm going to have to kick that Nasty little bitch's ass and operate it myself!!!

Thanks guys. Don't know much about how well a converted over AC will cool. Down year in Souf Loooosiana its get perty dang hot.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
They generally cool but don't get as cold as before. I have both of my cars converted.

The condensor is not efficient enuf to remove as much heat as it did with R12. A byproduct of this is a hotter radiator.

Sure is a lot cheaper when you buy freon, tho. And amateurs like me don't have to go find someone with a license to buy it, either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts