Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I realized that I needed to post in this before I can post on any threads, I decided to do it sooner rather than later. My name is Johnathon and my first car, and the only car I'd consider mine has been a 1987 Buick Regal T-type. For the sake of typing I'll give the history of the car. Back in 1987, my grandpa was looking to get a Monte Carlo SS. He had the 1st gen one and always thought they were cool so we were looking for one. Luckily my dad's friend told him about the regal t-types, saying they smoke the Monte Carlos like nobody's business. So after hearing that, him and my father took a test drive, and my granpa was sold. It also turns out that the Buick store that we bought the t-type from was one of the few if not only New Jersey Buick dealerships that were eligible to sell a GNX. If we had enough money we would have bought that, but the car was selling for about 50 grand and in todays money that's roughly 90 thousand dollars. Sadly my grandpa passed away a few years later so the car was sent into my father's hands. After a few years my brother got the car and he took care of it well. The biggest issue we had with it was the transmission, and finding a decent transmission shop in 04 seemed impossible. We had to let the buick sit for about 8 years since my brother went into the army, and we couldn't afford to keep it on our property, due to the fact our neighbors would be quick to complain that the car is uninsured or some other bull crap. Sadly shortly after my brother came home from his 2 and a half tour in iraq, he was killed in a motorcycle accident. The buick would continue to sit, due to the fact it was too painful to mess with a car he loved so much. Fast forward to a few years when i'm about to get my learners permit. One night I had a dream I was sitting in the back of the buick and remembered how fun and comfortable the ride was. I told my mom about the dream and she said instead of using the money i had saved up for a new (used) car, use the money to fix up the buick. The only major thing the buick needed done other than the transmission was the brake system. The powermaster always gave us problems, and we got a vacuum conversion kit from ebay and put that in, and replaced the whole braking system. Once we got that out of the way, we drove it for a while until the transmission started crapping out again (it was never fixed right before, hurricanes in florida and all other crap). A week after I got that, I hydroplaned and crashed the car into those wires that hold up the telephone poll. It wrecked the car pretty bad, the whole front clip, hood, bumper, headlight bezel, and radiator had to be rebuilt or replaced. Unsurprisingly I was crying for about a week, seeing how I wrecked a car that almost everyone in my family loved to death.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Instead of moping around and having the car un-drivable , we were lucky to find a donor buick for about $1200 and we began the process of rebuilding the car. After about 2 months, we fixed her but the car was in 3 different colors. Seeing how I didn't have much of a choice due to tight funds, I drove it around with the ugly paint. I forgot to mention before the paint was horrible for a few years, gm issued a pain recall a while back but my dad was too late. We had some other issues, like regular sensors and our ecm was messed up, so we got a new computer as well as put a turbotweak street chip into it. We had a performance chip from a local-ish buick gn performance place, but due to sitting for a while, water leaked on it and trashed it. Everything was great until fall rolled in. The lovely transmission began acting up again, this time driving like a manual transmission, without the clutch or the fun. We bought a transmission from transdepot.net, and paid extra for the grand national transmission. Funny thing, they forgot to mention that they actually put monte carlo internals, instead of what we paid for. Oh and they forgot to put the thing back together right, so we had leaks and eventually the transmission went into self destruct mode. We later called up CKperformance and got their shift kit thing, and the car hasn't ran that good since it came from the factory. With the car was driving like new, we decided it might as well look new. We took her up to the local maaco, due to the fact we can't afford the $5000+ paint job she rightly deserves. We didn't expect greatness, we just wanted the car one color. I'm pleased to say that the car came out great. There is some dings here and there, but we never expected the car to look like it did. After the paint came out so well we decided to go all the way, and got new front and rear shocks, and new rear springs. So there you have it. That's the story of the mighty 1987 Buick Regal T-type that has been through hell and back, and my pride and joy. :6:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And here is how it looks now. Also I'm pretty sure I joined MAGNA, I signed up to their page and all that, so I hope to see some of you at the breakfast meet in OC Maryland this weekend :cheers:
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts