009's
Stock IC
Stock Intake
Walbro 340 w/hotwire kit
Razor's Alky Kit
Turbotweak street/alky chip
3" cold air MAF pipe w/stock maf
With boost goal about #20-21

Will a 3" downpipe help with ET or not, plan on a tune-n-tune soon?

:dunno:

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
What is your average E.T. currently?

I would upgrade your intercooler first.

Also the MAF translator is a good upgrade from stock because the stock crappy plastic mafs suck. Plus the translator is able to add fuel at idle and at WOT.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't done an ET yet. Just heard they go fast. Used to speed though.

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
IMO I would get a baseline E.T. before I started adding parts to see if they improve the car or not.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're probably right. I couldn't get one for a few weeks anyway. Backordered.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
If you are going to get anything, get a dump pipe..$25 plus shipping and maybe another $25 to have it welded in..open dump at track...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also removed the cat with a striaght tube. i probably should have got one with a dump?

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Hyser said:
I also removed the cat with a striaght tube. i probably should have got one with a dump?
Dump is instant free flow exhaust no matter whats behind it. Good for the few $$ it costs!

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
2 qk 4 u said:
Also the MAF translator is a good upgrade from stock because the stock crappy plastic mafs suck.

hmmmm why do the stockers suck ??? we still run that POS on our cars here but they are only low 11 cars :rolleyes: :crazy:
Leave the stock maf alone as long as it it working :sw:

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
Grumpy said:
hmmmm why do the stockers suck ??? we still run that POS on our cars here but they are only low 11 cars :rolleyes: :crazy:
Leave the stock maf alone as long as it it working :sw:
I guess if you were never blessed with a good working stock maf sensor one would be likely to have his or her personal opinion. Let me elaborate...

They suck because of numerous complaints about them plus I've personally had 3 OEMs fail on 3 different TRs and every time I went to buy another one at the parts store they were junk. 5 of them to be exact. A lot will agree with me. If and when the LT1/LS1 maf fails, a reliable replacment is available.

All stock MAFs will fail. You cannot get a good reliable aftermarket one (napa/advance/autozone I've tried them all). I tried everything under the sun to avoid spending the money on the translator/LT1 upgrade. I am glad I did now.

Why havn't you applied the same logic to his downpipe idea? I know why because it's an aftermarket upgrade that provides an increase in performance. As does the Translator/LT1 upgrade. More air equels more power right? :cheers:

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
as far as the maf goes i HATE my LT1 MAF. the car never ran the same after and it wasnt for the better.

anyway, the only resion why i went to a 3" dp (go the Gbodyparts dp) is because my DP was hacked to hell by the previous owner.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The thread starter has no complaints about his MAF so I guess he has a good one. No need to speed money on something that will not make you faster in his case. A duttweiller neck would show a bigger gain for him. Cheaper too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So much information...

I think I'll stay with the stock DP for now.

Goin' to HotRod magazine's Drag Week with 65 other cars in our group.

Look for the Drag Week Group Name thread.

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
ULYCYC said:
The thread starter has no complaints about his MAF so I guess he has a good one. No need to speed money on something that will not make you faster in his case. A duttweiller neck would show a bigger gain for him. Cheaper too.
That's exactly what I stated in my first post on this thread. "I would upgrade your intercooler first" Then Grumpy focused on what he disagreed with...then a couple more followed behind him. I also mentioned that he should establish a baseline E.T. Nobody agreed with that besides Hyser.
I guess these guys have a thing for their stock mafs and I hit a sensitive spot :dunno: IMO...stock mafs still suck and I'll never own another one. Just like many of the stock parts we all throw out because they suck and there are better replacements.

:cheers:

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Not really, Every part has it's limits and purpose. There are a lot more turbo Buicks running around with stock maf's then with translator setups. That's like saying 340 Walbro fuel pumps are junk if your building a 8 sec car. Once you need more air flow (low 10's), custom extender chips or like you said it's broke then translator is the best choice. My stock maf has been on low a 10 sec car and ran the same numbers as his translator. It runs high 10's on mine. I also have a spare with over 100K on it I use for testing others. Many people change them when they are hunting a problem. Many times other issues is usually the problem. At this point if I was starting a new project I would go with a no-maf setup.

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
ULYCYC said:
At this point if I was starting a new project I would go with a no-maf setup.
I wanted to go maf-less but couldn't get clearance for the extra dough. Like we're on a budget or something :rolleyes: :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.