I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
funny i dont see a d-max badge on the door :dunno:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
firebird_1252 said:
i bet its got the 8.1L in it :D they are lemons- they consume a couple quarts of oil every 1000 miles lol

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
thats really weird. btw i love the power of the 8.1. i also herd that they arent making them anymore due to no one is buying them.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
firebird_1252 said:
thats really weird. btw i love the power of the 8.1. i also herd that they arent making them anymore due to no one is buying them.
I haven't heard that. But it might be true. The only 07 models that used the 8.1 are the Suburban and Avalanche and the 8.1 is missing from the engine options.The 07 Silverados aren't out yet. Its probally because GM increased the power in the current gen3 Vortecs. There are the new VortecMax'es available in 5.3,6.0 and a new 6.2. There is an Escalade only 6.2 that pumps out 403HP and somewhere around 500 lb ft for torque. See, you dont need hemi heads to make that kind of power. And they get better MPG than the Ford and Dodges too. :moon: Now all the General needs to do is put a heavy duty frame under these pigs so they can put the D-Max in them.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
why isnt bill responding about this new discovery??? :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
lol if thats a real picture- imaging the bracing on that frame to keep the weight up and not bow

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i'd love for them to put a small diesel d-max in to a trail blazer! i think gm is just jaming power right up ford and dodges asses!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
firebird_1252 said:

Not sure if it is but looks funny anyway! I think it is due to the size of the exh pipe but not sure. Looks like the Ford is a V10????

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Man, I had 2 duramaxes go back to the dealer for injectors.

I got a F250 in the shop. 11hrs for a $14.00 part causing a no start. I'm wrapping it up and should be done tomorrow am, but the fitting that goes between the high pressure oil pump and the high pressure rail blew the seal. Common fault and is going for its 3rd redesign.

I dont know whose is worse, but at least GM is covering their screwup. The Fords are not covered, so a vehicle like the one in the shop with 50k miles needs $1k of work to run.....not so hot in my book.

I'm starting to think the Dodge with the cummins is the way to go..

·
Registered
955 Posts
My cousin owns a '05 8.1 GM 4x4 crew cab truck. It comes with a 22 gallon tank or something. Without towing it gets around 10mpg.

When I towed his '29 Scarab boat I was getting less than 5mpg on the hwy going 70mph. If I was at a 1/4 tank and there wasn't a gas station within 20 miles I would be in deep ****. I ran out of gas 1x and coasted/limped into 2 other gas stations 2 other times on a trip towing it from Socal up to Norcal. Plenty of power... but damn is that thing thirsty. The tank is way too small.

Needed a new engine at 40K miles too. What a POS.

My vote is the Cummins diesel engine. They know what the hell they are doing at least. I know of many Duramax owners who sent back their trucks for the leaky injector problem also.

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
Can't beat an inline 6 for reliable torque and power. Turbodiesels are supposed to be inline. The Cummins is a genuine turbodiesel with tried and true heritage. :headbang: ...Plus they sound better...again. Lol! :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
RealestVIN7 said:
Can't beat an inline 6 for reliable torque and power. Turbodiesels are supposed to be inline. The Cummins is a genuine turbodiesel with tried and true heritage. :headbang: ...Plus they sound better...again. Lol! :D
Plus they run forever and mine is getting pretty decent fuel mileage as well. Averages about 20-21 mpg in mixed driving, but hit the highway and the sucker will knock down 22 mpg cruising at 70 mph. Got nothing but love for the ol rattling Cummins... :cool:

BTW....185,000 miles and doesn't use a bit of oil. Been one of the better vehicles I have ever owned.

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
They have an overhaul interval of like 350,000 miles I think. That's freakin' awesome. Wish I could get one. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dunno- my ol' rattletrap 7.3 Excursion just keeps going and going- 20 mpg and room for days!

Only problem has been the nomal cam sensor- ($50 and 10 minutes repair time).

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
I think Cummins knows how to make a diesel engine. :headbang: Not sure Dodge knows how to make a truck though. :cool: Just kidding...back to your sooty black arguments. :headbang:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts