Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-This is from Car Craft-

TA V6 BUCIK

Normally you wouldnt catch us ranting and raving over a V6, however turn that conventional small-displacement paperweight into an all aluminum block with the capacity to with stand 3000 hp and now were talking. Bases on the 231 ci turbocharged v6 block, TA performance has created what they call Extream Duty Aluminum cylinder block.
Features include 6 bolt billet steal main caps on 2,3 and 4 mains,,, 1 and 6 are are utilezed 4 bolt.
Remote water pump is needed. All GM Trans bolt pattern
Block weight 99 lbs
after boring it weighs 88lbs
Price is 3500 block alone.
Wet or Dry oil sump
Rear main seal is a 2 piece.
Max stroke 3.625
Max dis 274
Wall type non siamesed

ok now go get a napkin before you ruin the key board.

http://www.taperformance.com/

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Conventional small displacement paper weight eh?

I know that they are promoting the alum block but damn did they have to disrespect us like that? To this day I don't know of a more affordable readily available way to run 11s and drive daily with AC hauling the family around than the IC'd TR. powersix

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Just because you have oil pan elbow, you don't have to be so crabby!

We should all thank Nick Micale for being the ramrod behind this project. :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
BTW, there are only four mains in a Buick...Number one is a four bolt main, two-four are six bolt caps. The crank is going to find it hard to walk around in these caps.

This block had input form Duttweiller and others and is projected to handle close to 2000 hp for the heavy hitters.

TA will supply billet cranks and rods for those that want to pass the capabilities of the stock components.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think to be able to pull out 2000 hp and weigh enough to install with out a cherry picker sounds sweet to me.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Call me the skeptic but where are they at? Wasn't the release date March? Was their any problems that surfaced that are being addressed and is the reason for the delay?

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Remote water pump? :confused:

I dunno guys $3500 is alot of cash. I think this is my last V6 motor. I am building this one basically to the breakage limit. When its time for another It will probably be an LT1 or LS1 Single Turbo in the car.

Friend of mine just put together an LT1 Shortblock, setup for 4 Bolt Main, 383 Calles Crank, Eagle Rods, JE Pistons, Bearings and Rings for $3400 bucks.

How the hell can you beat that? Will support basically whatever you throw at it. He is planning to run 20psi through a D1 procharger. I was playing with the FAST system riding shotgun on it a few weeks ago. Its gonna haul when he gets the bugs worked out yup yup

I will follow suit with a GT76 when the time comes :)

V6's are cool, but for the $$$$ sorry guys.

I can't see spending $3500 for a block and putting a stock crank and rods in it.

How much are the stock rods good too? Machine shop called last week, 4 out of my 6 are cracked. :eek: How the hell did that happen? Pistons looked perfect and in fact when into a friends TTA Motor.

So how much is a Crank and Rods for it? Another $3500?

I need to move to the Rock Farm in Texas where money grows on Rocks yup yup

<small>[ June 25, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: TTA89 ]</small>

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
With all the good parts added and machine shop charges it should be $10,000 to $15,000. To run a small block/bigblock Chevy or a Ford full race build the cost will be all about the same. We are talking motors built for 7-8seconds I think the main stream Chevy/Ford guys better keep there eyes open. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
683 Posts
What is going to make this light years ahead of anything out there now is the Duttweiler input, building the heads to the Stage 2 cast heads with ports that outflow anything out there now without blowing through the water jackets! A revised MA head in the street version, reinforced lifter galley, 6 bolt mains with the head bolts going into the main webs! Sure it is expensive but price a S2 converted to a wet sump oiling system! This block will use all the stock parts from a 109 block, with minor modifications too! I'm on the list for the first batch of blocks and will be running the big 2.02 Chevy intake valves with the raised ports and new intake to match! Mine will be completely streetable to boot! Wanna Race! He He My wife's present to me! Gene

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
ILBCNU6:
I'm on the list for the first batch of blocks and will be running the big 2.02 Chevy intake valves with the raised ports and new intake to match! Mine will be completely streetable to boot! Wanna Race! He He My wife's present to me! Gene
You have a VERY cool wife headbang headbang

·
Registered
882 Posts
Remote water pump is needed?????????????????

What da'????????????????????????

Foist I've hoida dat, Ollie! :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probably due to the fact that this is a pure race motor that if the car is moving so fast so is the belt, theirfore the faster the belt moves the faster the pump moves, to fast a moving pump doesnt cool well. So with an electric pump it better cooling cuz the coolant has time to cool and not be rushed through

am i right?

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
I would rather build some junkyard 4.1 and cross my fingers. If the supply of V6 blocks ever ran out, I would rather drop in a blown Bowtie than a $3000 chunk of aluminum. Don't I get a discount for drinking all the beers that were melted into the block? I'd be cheaper to hunt down a stage block, I feel TA just put an arbitrary price on it to create demand. I honestly don't care if Ken Duttweiler was involved in the development of the motor, he's the only guy who can afford it and the only guy to get 2-3,000 horsepower out of if, does the block really need to be that strong? I'd feel better if maybe TA would make a cast iron 4 bolt version that we can all afford. By the way, a Merlin big block chevy block with splayed steel billet mains, a 4.490" bore and a 10.2" deck goes for 2,000, fully machined and ready to go.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You fail to understand the reality of business.

Once you accept that the market for Buick blocks is no where near that of the Chevy, then compute the tooling costs for setting up the molds, and divide that by 100 blocks, you have a bargain.

When you consider that Mike T put all the money up himself including that required for prototypes, Expert assistance, throwaways, etc., $3500 begins to look pretty cheap.

Now, if the market was in the 1000's, you might have a point. It ain't. You tried to buy an aftermarket crank for a Buick lately? How bout rods? Give it a shot and report back. :) Call up Scat and ask them for one, or any other manufacturer of your choice.

It was aimed at those of us that would like to go fast and keep it that way rather than blowing the bottom ends out of stock blocks. It also provides the guys who go 7s with a solid, lightweight replacement for the Stage blocks which are becoming harder to find.

The cost of building a Stage II engine is somewhat greater than you seem to imagine. They are not bolt ins altho the Stage off centers come a bit closer. :)

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
What I find funny is all the claims. 2000-3000 HP by the Eyeball Engineers. No actual test to those limits has been ran. Build one, put it on the dyno to get the power number then slap it in a race car and see if you can get 200 passes on it without anything going South. None of these have been met yet. In theory it should be plenty strong but they guys having the old style aluminum Stage 2's can't give them away. They have a number placed on them of 700 HP or less to live. I wouldn't buck up for the T/A block until it is proven. Laying down $3,500.00 on just claims and thoughts is a little crazy.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Accepting what you say is indeed fact regarding published testing, you are comparing apples and oranges when comparing the two blocks. Anyone can look at the two and see there is no similarity in physical construction between the two.

I have heard no claims alleging 2000-3000 hp, but, I have seen comments about "up to 2000 hp".

That is a fair difference. :)

With regard to eyeball engineers, lots of trained guys were wrong about the power plate and they are still slinking around sulking about it. I love it! Where did they all go after the egts came out?

We have the opposite case here where real engineers participated in the block design and the eyeball engineers are the ones saying an aluminum block won't work. That red herring was tossed out several years ago and has not stood the test of modern engineering. This was not a backroom project by do it yourselfers.

As you state however, the proof will be in the pudding. Just don't be surprised to find out that modern engineering is more capable than the birdies that whisper in your ear. :) This ain't Mike T's first rodeo and those guys that whisper that he cannot build turbo Buick parts because he is a big block guy are simply jealous of his success and his ability to put his money where his mouth is.

Many of us potential buyers would be happy with a lot less than 2000 hp as we are street guys that wanta run fast every day and not spend our time looking for a new block.

Having said that, I am looking forward to the tests as are most of us. :)

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
I didn't jump right on the Power Plate either when it first come out. I have it now and like it but bought after some positive results had been shown with it. Would definately want to see someone run a >$3k block for 100-200 passes in the 700 HP range without failure first too. I would never want the 2-3 thousand horsepower quote but would like to at least see some decent power and testing to sway me. nono I like the debate but I also got my budget roller cam late and never had to endure the failure of it because my car burned ugh Shortly after mine went up in flames it went South for those people that had them :( Will be waiting on the sidelines again headbang yup

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I think it's a smart move to wait a little and let the R&D prove itself on the street and track with X amount of trouble free service. I remember when the first small block Chevy aluminum ridgerunner heads came out and they forgot the raised edge for the valve cover to sit on. This was GM too. But T/A is on the right track. It was only 3 years ago Mike T talked about this motor at a seminar he gave at the Holiday Inn at Bristol. I think that is great dedication to the Buick community. When my motor is ready to be retired, I will definitely get one. I'm also a budget roller cam victim eek!

·
Registered
882 Posts
ULYCYC:
I think it's a smart move to wait a little and let the R&D prove itself on the street and track with X amount of trouble free service.

I'm also a budget roller cam victim eek!
Good advice! No wonder you're cautious!
eek!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts