Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, it's John Pfaff here. Normally I don't post on this forum, but because of a certain post I'm going to make this one exception. I'd like to set the record straight. i first met Anthony when he contacted me about a shortblock I had for sale. I'd like to describe the shortblock in detail. It was a seasond 109 complete with a std/std crank with standard rods, Wiseco forged pistons, Revolution X series 210/215 roller cam, Program steel main caps and ARP everything. The price was agreed upon and purchased "as is". And the following was added for free: New timing cover and a new double roller timing chain at my cost. You asked me where to go to finish the long block, and I suggested Nash Engines and you dropped it off there. In addition I supplied you with all the gaskets required to finish the assembly at below cost. The engine was delivered to Dan at National Racing and you agreed to have Dan do the re and re of the engine at an agreed price. The engine was fired up with no issues. You picked up the car and no one heard from you again until I heard from you one Sunday afternoon. You explained to me there was a noise in the engine and you asked me if I knew what it was. After asking you several questions, one of which was when it started to make noise I asked what were you doing. Your reply was that you were driving down the highway at 15 pounds of boost with the alky on and it startred to make noise. At the time I thought it was odd that you would be running alcohol with 15 pounds of boost. You asked me what you should do, and I suggested that you talk to Martin and perhaps have him look at it. You then asked me if Martin would cover this. My experience with performance engines is that there is no warranty, but I can't comment on any arrangement you had with the engine builder. Further, you purchased the engine from me "as is" and the builder only installed the top end. At this point the engine was picked up by Dan and reinstalled in the car. All along the people involved have done nothing but try and help you with anything from free parts to sound advice. Given the fact that you're running a 70mm turbo with a stock elbow/puck and an unported wastegate hole was a recipe for runaway boost. Anthony, you seem like a nice young man but I honestly think you need to take some responsibility here. Given the fact that you're an inexperienced Turbo Regal owner, you may not have been aware that the engine was detonating. Be the nice guy that I still think you are and please pay the outstanding bill that you have with Nash Engines because Martin did nothing but try and help you at his cost. I hope you take this in the spirit that it's written. You can still call me anytime you want and I'll be happy to help in any way that I can.

Regards,

John Pfaff

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
John is a very good friend of mine and ALWAYS pays top dollar to build his projects properly. He does his research and will not buy crap or sell crap to anyone he has his principles. The engine fired up with NO problems , excellent oil pressure, no noise and over 1000 plus kms of driving. This tells you it is DRIVER ERROR, Bison knows these cars inside and out read what he said about the alky.Tuning is everything with these motors! I suggest you go pay Martin at NASH his money and pick up the bearings and post a picture.

Regards,
Ron

·
Fairly Crazy
997 Posts
What are you saying Mike... I thought it was board protocol to blame Dan and everyone he associates with? :dunno:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
What are you saying Mike... I thought it was board protocol to blame Dan and everyone he associates with? :dunno:
Phillip, It's EXACTLY this kind of Post (solely to Stir Up ****) that we are trying to Avoid. Let the chips fall where they may when someone calls a member out. Especially when they are young & just learning these cars. Paul & myself already contradicted the Nash 1000K breakin procedure he followed.
I don't pick sides until I hear All Facts & hopefully then I can make an informed decision. I guess similar to what guys did to Ken Seggie years ago when I defended him a few times. :wink:
Your a good Kid but stirring the Pot is Exactly what we don't need here.
Dan is a big boy & can defend himself without the BS drama.

I'll buy you a beer & a hotdog on the 16th & store your axles another 5 years but Please don't add gas to the fire as it's only detrimental to our small community! Just let the Facts come out without all the Negative comments that have No bearing on the outcome of the Thread! :cheers:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
It's not Mike, it's his Father Ron.
Ron, good to see you still take an interest (with us bunch of Misfits) & I hope to see you & Mike on the 16th!!

We only met the one time at Young & Eglington in the parking garage but I have heard many stories & it would be cool to swap some with you! :yup:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Dave it,s Ron, i do not post much here but when friends are in question it's time to step up. I remember meeting you and look forward to shooting the breeze with you. I have had these cars from 1987, bought and sold many and can tell you they are not very forgiving if not tuned properly. I recently spent time and money to have Cal come up here to tune my car for alky and C16. We spend a small fortune to build the engine but do not follow up with tuning to protect our investment. I have blowen up more than my share of motors and hopefully learned some lessons along the way. In closing i use my son's handle which pisses him off but i am still the old man and as they say it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks. All the best Dave.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
John Candy said it best!

They Blowed Up Good!! They Blowed Up Real GOOD!!!! :D

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm not blaming John for anything, he sold me a motor and he's the most straight up guy I've dealt with regards to cars. John's the middle man, he did help me out but he he only sold me parts. Dan on the other hand did all the work. How come he did not spot the "unported wastegate" the first time he put the motor in my car. It's obvious he does not go through your car and check things to make sure everything is working. He didn't even offer to go for a test drive after installing my motor to make sure everything is running okay.

Well if you guys think my car "over boosts itself" I will be glad to take you for a ride when it is done and prove you otherwise. Just PM me and that's not a problem.

My car was periodically shutting off at idle and Dan said to me "Hey man I can tow your car home throw me $50 bucks because it was shutting off and I don't want you to get stuck on the highway". That was his answer to me. At the point I thought to myself and said "well this is the guy that's looking after my car and instead of figuring out the issue he wants to pay him to tow my car home?". I didn't feel I was in good hands at all. That in my mind was enough to seal the deal and say he does not give two sh!ts if your car is about to blow up or what.

I've spoken to Martin and made arrangements with him. So talking about not paying my bill is not true. Shouldn't a warranty apply if this was done within 3 months of the warranty period and either party knows the reason for the engine failure?

Another thing when I fist got the motor done the car would make less then 10psi oil pressure when it was hot, now it makes 20 psi. I don't know how or what but something is different.

I've gotten PM's and I'm not the first person to have an issue with a Buick motor built by Nash, I'm not name dropping but I've heard things.

People have also told me that a motor does not blow every single bearing because of detonation.

·
cakefarts.com
821 Posts
There was an issue with the short block before it was ever installed. why is Nash not telling the truth. He knows what happened.

It would have blown the head gaskets to pieces before the bearings.

50's and alky worked fine for so many for years. Why are they not enough now?

No full boost test drive with scan tool #'s? Not much of an install. :rolleyes:

If that thing was creeping boost. the op would have been aware and he sounds bright enough to me to have done something to rectify it.

The giving free parts and all the helping was great but the fact that he bought a motor. had it built. and installed. then it failed. well he's pissed because everyone says it's his fault. Obviously he relied on the experts to get him up and running. Correctly.

The facts are pretty clear but some friendships are clouding some peoples' judgement.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
#1 Dan on the other hand did all the work. How come he did not spot the "unported wastegate" the first time he put the motor in my car. It's obvious he does not go through your car and check things to make sure everything is working. He didn't even offer to go for a test drive after installing my motor to make sure everything is running okay.

#2 My car was periodically shutting off at idle and Dan said to me "Hey man I can tow your car home throw me $50 bucks because it was shutting off and I don't want you to get stuck on the highway". That was his answer to me. At the point I thought to myself and said "well this is the guy that's looking after my car and instead of figuring out the issue he wants to pay him to tow my car home?". I didn't feel I was in good hands at all. That in my mind was enough to seal the deal and say he does not give two sh!ts if your car is about to blow up or what.

#3 I've spoken to Martin and made arrangements with him. So talking about not paying my bill is not true. Shouldn't a warranty apply if this was done within 3 months of the warranty period and either party knows the reason for the engine failure?

#4 Another thing when I fist got the motor done the car would make less then 10psi oil pressure when it was hot, now it makes 20 psi. I don't know how or what but something is different.

#5 People have also told me that a motor does not blow every single bearing because of detonation.

Reading this thread brings back the same ol **** that happeneds with PERFORMANCE cars...

#1..... Wasn't it Dans job to just R&R the motor ??? I have done this also.. Guys bring me a pile of junk an I would put it on an the car ran like crap!!! My response was "you brought me YOUR parts an TOLD me to put them on".

#2 ... It's YOUR car... You bring this to me its goin to cost $$$$ to fix it.. This is my JOB.. By the way what do you do for a job ??

#3... ummm used motor.. why should there be a warranty ?? It wasn't a motor YOU had built ?? I know I know.. Ya drove it like a little old lady driving to her weekly hairdresser appointment.:rolleyes:

#4... yup... there is a problem..

#5 ... I'd like to see the parts before I comment

This is one reason I don't sell motors.. I had a guy offer me $10k for the Melissa/Mazda motor she ran 9s with. This is a motor that we have well over 22/25k STREET miles on it. I wouldn't do it.. Didn't want to hear the crying when it blew up because they would be in way over their head !!! :sw:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts