Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was over on the Innovate site looking at the narrow band issue, I stumbled across three articles by Klaus A on the title subjects.

With the usual cautions that every car is different, and Klaus may not be the absolute final authority-I thought they were worth reading if for no other reason than to provoke thought.

I am sure George will find many things to renounce! :D

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/rich.php

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/myths.php

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/electrical-grounding.php

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Steve Wood said:
While I was over on the Innovate site looking at the narrow band issue, I stumbled across three articles by Klaus A on the title subjects.

With the usual cautions that every car is different, and Klaus may not be the absolute final authority-I thought they were worth reading if for no other reason than to provoke thought.
Interesting, but you just can't do some subjects justice with a one page article.
Getting a copy of MacInnes, Obert, Heywood, etc., is always a way to get to some of the original research. If you want to really brush up on detonation, Obert not only explains it in more detail, but has actual graphs, to document his explainations.

Not to mention just hanging out with the likes of Mike Licht, and Bob Bailey for a few days. Just listening to them like at IRP, is always an education. Not that following Jack Cotton, and Cal Hartline wasn't a learning experience. also.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Pretty good stuff, I thought. As Bruce says, it's hard to get much detail in just a page or two, but Klaus at least avoided making lots of mistakes- which is possible in a page or two. The advantage from a writer's point of view in a short article like this is that you get to avoid the "devil" that is in the details. Like, suppose you have different mixture strengths in different cylinders. In that case, maybe you want to run rich (overall) to avoid running lean in the leanest cylinders. And where do you set timing? For the weak cylinders, or the strong cylinders? As Steve said, it is thought provoking.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some times, it is nice to be able to read an overview...then, if one is interested in more detail, he can move on to something intensive. :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Steve Wood said:
some times, it is nice to be able to read an overview...then, if one is interested in more detail, he can move on to something intensive.
*We* need more interested in detail folks.

Just look at the some of the discussion that goes on at times, which is just about folk's opinions rather then in actual facts. It's like the how big of down pipe is enough threads.... MacInnes splains all that in one page. What are the real effects of alky?, Obert spends a few pages, showing how the detonation threshold is raised by using it, and has charts to prove his *theories*. Not to mention that progessive systems instantly make sense once you look at the fuel/ allky curves. ie, armed with that info., I use an incredibly small amount of alky with my set-up, even with 87 Octane. Again, thou, it's about details (Cotton's F/M, high definition VE spark timing tables, proper temp corrections, etc., etc..)...

The info., is out there, it's a matter of gathering the good, and putting it ALL together. ie, read the NACA papers, read Obert, read Ricardo to get as much essence from all of them that you can, THEN look over Jack's/ Cal's/ Mike sholders while their working trackside, can give ya real edumacation.

Not to mention with reading, you get practiced in seeing thur alot of the BS. Then dabbling with code, can even change your mind set about a lot of other stuff. Once you deal with coding, you learn that anything less then perfection is a waste of time, since with code it's either perfect or the car don't run (or at least not as expected).

Gads, I'm ranting.......

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's okay! Beats politics! :D

Not everyone is interested in theory...some just wanta bolt on parts and go. :)

But, you are correct in that the more people that are into it, the more we will push the frontiers. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Not everyone is interested in theory...some just wanta bolt on parts and go
That's very true. And they don't realize that without a little understanding of the theory, they may be wasting money, not getting the most out their $$$. Bruce has done the research to understand his alky system, so he can use very little. Others may be using much more, without any added benefit. Figuring things out, and tuning, take time- too many people want INSTANT results.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
coffee, for example!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts