Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok compressor works, it goes on and off and the can on the passenger side doesn't get cold. so that means it needs charging right?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Most likley its low"But it could also have a bad expantion valve?Is there any pressure on the system?If its cycling to fast its probley low"If its cycling normaly it could be a bad compressor" stopped up accumulator or exp valve.If you have access to a recovery machine it will help to know how much freon was in the system.HTH

PS: Do not overcharge! It can lock up ac comp or damage it!Also If you dont know what your doing find someone that does.

------------------
Keith Davis--Moneypit 86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & matched intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,CC 206-206 cam'Postons headers,Orange stripe conv.THDP,2 1/2 exhaust'Hooker comp. mufflers'SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Dude, take it to someone before you get hurt.

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i'm definitely not gonna do it myself. about the cycles. how many seconds between when the compressor cycles?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
if it is very low on freon, it will click on and off every few seconds...like 2-10 seconds...

I suspect the problem is either in the orfice tube being stopped up or the accumulator has a bad valve.

Take it to someone that knows his stuff and has a decent reputation.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. Appreciate it. Gonna go take it to get it analyzed.

Oh one more thing, I turned on the ac again and as i heard the engine idle faster, i couldn't hear the ac compressor go on and off. Does the compressor make a click sound as a sign of cycling?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
should make a click noise when turning on each time (and when it cycles)

You can just stand beside the car and watch the clutch to see if it is turning or just the outer pulley.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just to make sure, the a/c compressor is under the alternator correct? is that the one where the two metal lines go into?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yep, you will see that the pulley is turning on the outside all the time but the center only turns when the ac is on. The click you hear is the sound caused by the electromagnetic effect created when voltage is applied to an internal coil within the ac clutch and it locks the center part of the pulley/clutch assembly to the outer. When the compressor is not running, the outer portion serves as an idler. When you stand in front and look at the pulley/clutch, the center should be not turning unless someone turns the ac on. Then it should make a click sound as the magnet engages the center to the outer and begins to turn.

Be sure the center does turn when the ac is turned on.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Steve, I'll go check again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another thing that can make it not feel cold is if air has gotten into the system. this makes the freon very inefficient and it will not cool as it normally would. Have the entire system evacuated, checked for leaks, test all components, then recharge.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i let the car idle for 4 minutes with the a/c on and not one time did the middle part of the compressor spin.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve? anyone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by smokin6:
Steve? anyone?
The clutch won't engage if it's low on refrigerant (and therefore the center part won't spin). Sounds like it needs an evacuate and recharge (and find the leak of course).

[This message has been edited by RP (edited August 24, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1. it is low on freon or

2. the pressure switch on the accumulator is bad or

3. The clutch on the compressor is bad.

Look at the accumulator. It is the can sitting vertically in front of the ac/heater box on the passenger firewall. See the connector on the fender side with two wires going to it? Pull it off and put a piece of wire across the two female connectors in the plug. If the compressor clicks on and starts to run, you know it is either 1. or 2.

Probably number one but I just had number two fail on one of my cars.

If it does not run, look under the compressor and be sure the connector is plugged into the the back of the clutch.....

DO NOT LET IT RUN FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE OF SECONDS WITH THE WIRE JUMPING THE CONNECTOR AS THAT PRESSURE SWITCH IS A SAFETY VALVE TO PREVENT THE COMPRESSOR FROM OVERHEATING AND DESTRUCTING IF THE SYSTEM IS LOW ON FREON.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

1 - 15 of 15 Posts