Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my a/c is blowing warm air. The relay is on the ps fender is clicking and the clutch on the compressor only momentarily engages when I mess with the plug on the drier (? black cylinder). Ideas welcome. :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
check the pressures...seems to be low on freon

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
If the freon is good, I have had problems with the round switch on accumulator & red one on back of compressor with poor connections. Makes the clutch go on off a lot but never gets its cold. I have the red one (new replacement from Caspers) crazy glued into place. Works fine when theres a good connection. It get pretty hot down there! Just a long shot? :dunno:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a can of the self-sealing 134, and when I put it on the port, the little gauge maxes out at the danger zone and it won't take any gas.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I got the 134 hooked up again and the little gauge goes up and down and the compressor clutch goes off and on.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Maybe the switch on the accumulator is bad. Take the wire off the connection and jumper the two sides together with a pair of needle nose. If it's really out of freon the a/c will not get cold. If it doesn't get cold, don't let it run very long like that with the A/C ON. If it gets somewhat cold and you think it's low on freon then you can squirt some more 134 in it. The gauge reading is probably in the red because you are supposed to take the reading with the ac running.

On the other hand, it's probably out of freon. As much as you have had the motor out, the manifold lines are probably leaking now since they will start to leak the more you mess with them.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Try what Mike said...bit dangerous putting freon into a system that you don't know the pressures on.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, you're smarter than you look. :) The pliers trick did it. And I was this close to pulling the engine. Where can I get a switch?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with Mr Wood, check your highs and lows before you add anything to an AC system. Check all plugs, fittings, fuses, AC compressor and make sure the little Diode is not touching any metal (engine strap) or itself...if you overfill it, it will hurt you (physically) :eek!:

·
Registered
48 Posts
nevermind then...

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
go to autozone, or any such

unscrew the old, put the new one on

be damn sure it is properly cold before forgetting about it

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I guess I fogot to state the obvious but do not overfill the system or yes you could probably get injured. What I was saying was to get the system cycling with the pliers to bypass the switch on the accumulator and connect the freon gauge to see if it actually still reads in the red. Chances are once it starts to cycle it's going to read a lot lower on the gauge.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your help guys. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts