Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever i turn on my fan, it works in all the speed settings but high...it will just shut off. I just changed the resistor before winter, and switch same time and it worked after that... but his morning i turned it on high and it shut off so i changed the A/C high blower relay and still nothing. What do you think it is

thanks
scott

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
There is an orange wire that goes to the relay. Follow the wire back from the relay a few inches and you will find a connector. The terminals inside the connector have burned. Jump around the connector and the fan will run on high.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Good advice excepting the wire is as Red as the top of Steve's head.

The orange wire turns on the relay from the switch for the high speed operation.

If you hear a click and no high speed trace the red wire back to the connector near the power antenna.

PS: It is hard to hear the high speed fan relay click, impossible from in the car I think, put your hand on it and have someone put the switch on high and you should feel it click.

Or simply trace the red wire to that connector since we are all assuming that is the trouble.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
It goes to the relay. As Salvage says it is red. Comes from a fusible link off the starter. Follow it to the connector that will be between the the hvac box and the inner fender.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I followed the red wire, and it leads to a connecter. Then once it is connected I can't follow it anymore. Do i jump it from the connector it is in??

Thanks for the help
Scott

[This message has been edited by 86GN11 (edited May 24, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yes

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
If the connector is not burnt too bad you can clean the terminals with a small file then pack the connector with dielectric grease. Mine did that about 5 years ago and the repair is still holding up. If it is crispy and distorted do as Steve said.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright i fixed the problem...Fan now runs on high. But i have a question..When is that flapping door suppose to open?

Thanks for all the help

Scott

·
Omnipotent Poster
728 Posts
Cool, glad you fixed it. My 88 Astro has the same problem. I bought a new relay $$ and it stil doesn't work
Finally got out the meter. There was 12 volts on the red wire UNTIL you turned it on high. I figured the fusible link might be bad, but more likely a bad connection. That was last summer and I still haven't bothered to trace the red wire and fix it.

That flapping door comes open if you spin out at 180 mph. It helps keep the car from going airborn when going backwards. I prefer the AstroRoof myself.

HTH

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
COOL, that's what was wrong with my high speed fan also. I always assumed it was a burnt fusible link at the starter but was to lazy to check.

My connector is pretty crusty, and even though I cleaned the terminals with the fan running on high the connector gets fairly hot. So would you fine folks recomend splicing in a new wire just to be safe?

Craig

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Just cut the wire on each side of the connector and tie them together properly with solder, don't use a butt splice.

Tape or shrink wrap the connection and you should be good for another 15 years.

·
Kicking Butt Intercooled
73 Posts
Hey I had the exact same problem. Found that connecter box, and sure enough the connecter for the red wire was burnt out, but not too bad. I cleaned it up, and it worked, but only for a little. So i just cut the red wire on both ends, and put a waterproof male connector on one side, female on the other. Then just clipped the black connector box back together. Seems to work great that way for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts